Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 640604 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2012, 07:19:42 pm »
Visited the Prom Day. Always feels like a bit of an odd event, neither one thing or another. Never can understand why it is scheduled up against the Extravaganza either? CCBC must be keen on it, judging by the number of (presumably paid) staff they had wondering around, not to mention tents manned by various council depts.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2012, 07:36:24 pm »
I know Fester will want to see this pic  :laugh: , this is the main performer at Prom Day, the X Factor contestant, Kitty Brucknell. She was actually very good!:

Here Kitty! by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2012, 07:47:42 pm »
Great pic!! she was good on the XFactor I thought  8)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2012, 07:55:51 pm »
I found this old postcard of Colwyn Bay yesterday at a car boot sale.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:11 am »
Planning Application has gone in to convert the upper floors (the old Wings Club) of the Imperial Pub in Station Square to 17 flats:

Application No: 0/38846 Grid Reference: 284994,379086
Application Type: Full Case Officer: Bryn Kyffin
Determination Level Planning Committee Team: Major Applications Team
Received Date : 13/04/2012 Registered Date: 04/05/2012
Development Type(s): Change Build Use Ward: Rhiw
Community Council: Cyngor Tref Bay of Colwyn Town Council
Location: Imperial Buildings Princes Drive Colwyn Bay Conwy LL29 8LF
Proposal: Conversion of First, Second and Third Floors to 17 no Self-contained Apartments

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #320 on: May 15, 2012, 01:16:30 pm »
This makes me feel very sad. I was one of the very first members of the R A F A club which was opened up there around 1951. I was recently demobbed from the RAF and a Mr Judge, I hope I've remembered his name correctly, twisted my arm to join. I knew him through Gilbert Berry of Berrys Garage in Rhos. Gilbert had also been in the RAF and both of them were determined to make a success of this club--- and for very many years it was. Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #321 on: May 15, 2012, 10:58:15 pm »
On a very different line of thought, I wondered whether I should put this in a Quiz thread. However ----- It has been in Colwyn Bay in one form or another for, I don't know, maybe 100 years. In the same place. It was there this morning. Now ---- its gone, no sign of it at all apart from obvious disturbance at ground level, maybe a foot or so. high.   Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:53 pm »
Think we might need a little clue, Mike!

Offline Paddy

« Reply #323 on: May 16, 2012, 07:39:36 pm »
On a very different line of thought, I wondered whether I should put this in a Quiz thread. However ----- It has been in Colwyn Bay in one form or another for, I don't know, maybe 100 years. In the same place. It was there this morning. Now ---- its gone, no sign of it at all apart from obvious disturbance at ground level, maybe a foot or so. high.   Mike

Great question Mike. Can we play the "yes/no" game with it?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #324 on: May 17, 2012, 11:09:33 am »
Sorry to DaveR , Paddy and anyone else who wasted their time reading my post. I must hold my hands up --- I made a complete mess of it.
  It was, I thought, the overnight demolition of one of the tea bars on the prom, close to the new development.
  On looking again, closer, today I realise that the tea bar is still there. What I had seen was the foundations of one of the shelters which had been knocked down a good while ago. But the foundations could not usually be seen because the site workers cars were always parked on it.
  Sorry again everybody. I will take more care in posting in the future mike

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #325 on: May 17, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »
Mike, don't worry about it, this is all a bit of fun, I often put odd things on here, better than putting nothing at all on!  :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2012, 12:52:09 am »
Just blame it on the beer Mike, ... it gets us blokes out of so many difficult situations.   Z** Z**
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #327 on: June 11, 2012, 08:15:39 pm »
There's been an interesting turn of events regarding the Home Curtains & Bedding Shop in Seaview Road.  There's been a closing down sale on there since before Christmas and they have now finally closed down, however the shop was immediately occupied by a new shop called Rectella (which to me sounds like a chewy, fruity flavoured bumhole) which sells......curtains and bedding :o.

Still, at least the shop is still occupied which is no bad thing.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #328 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:54 pm »
There's been an interesting turn of events regarding the Home Curtains & Bedding Shop in Seaview Road.  There's been a closing down sale on there since before Christmas and they have now finally closed down, however the shop was immediately occupied by a new shop called Rectella (which to me sounds like a chewy, fruity flavoured bumhole) which sells......curtains and bedding :o.

Still, at least the shop is still occupied which is no bad thing.

Funny you should say that, sizeable Andy.  (I can't bring myself to refer to you as Fat Andy)  :D

I used to deal with Rectella when purchasing drapery and soft furnishing products for a company I worked for.

I always used to think 'Rubella', and had a mental picture of my supplier of being an itchy and annoying diseas of the bumhole.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #329 on: June 22, 2012, 11:19:56 am »
Colwyn Bay Victorian building Heritage Lottery Fund grant
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-18537290

More than £4m could be spent restoring the Victorian character of the north Wales town of Colwyn Bay.
The Heritage Lottery Fund made the announcement after pledging £800,000 for the latest round of improvements to buildings.
The town has been undergoing a revamp over the last few years and more is now planned.
The latest HLF grant will "improve and preserve the unique character" of historic buildings in the town centre.
Premises due for the improvements include the old Woolworth building, the art deco A&A Cash & Carry and Central Hotel.
Restoration work will see traditional shop fronts restored with cast-iron canopies.
A total of 37 projects are being considered, including reopening empty buildings, creating exhibition spaces as well as a local history centre.
Local colleges providing building courses will create heritage-based training modules teaching traditional building techniques to help with
the restoration and future maintenance.
The former Woolworths store will be revamped as part of the work
Conwy council was given the £803,500 grant via HLF's Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI).
"Once a thriving Victorian seaside resort, Colwyn Bay has many distinctive buildings which have fallen into disrepair after many years of social and economic decline," said a HLF spokesperson.
"The aim of the THI scheme will be to create new and sustainable uses for the buildings to attract new businesses, improve the retail offer and build the confidence in the local community."
The last THI grant of £600,000 was awarded in Colwyn Bay in September 1998 and was spent on its Victorian conservation area.
The project could result in up to £4m being spent on buildings in Colwyn Bay over a five year period taking into account match funding from the private sector with help from project partners Conwy council, HLF, Welsh government and its heritage section, Cadw.
Councillor Phillip Evans said the latest grant "forms an essential component in the renaissance of the town" which follows the reopening of the regional events centre at Eirias Park as well as £5m improvements in the town's promenade.
Conwy principal conservation officer Peter Jones Hughes said similar THI projects have made a "significant impact" in Penmaenmawr and Llanrwst.