Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627959 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #285 on: December 28, 2011, 06:55:53 pm »
It is Colwyn Bay Pier and  you can see the Little Orme in the background.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2011, 07:03:54 pm »
and Dixieland. ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: December 28, 2011, 07:08:03 pm »
Nice to see the Pier looking fairly decent, for a change. Within a year of that photo being taken, Colwyn Council had sold it for £50,000 to TrustHouse Forte Leisure, who removed the domes from the roof of the Pier Theatre, covered up all the windows and converted it into the Dixieland Showbar. They also built the Golden Goose Amusements on the former area of decking at the Pier Entrance:

[smg id=299]

Once the work was complete, the Pier looked like this (top half of photo, click to see full size):
[smg id=51]

Offline dwsi

« Reply #288 on: January 05, 2012, 04:58:57 pm »
 £1m revamp for derelict building in Colwyn Bay - North Wales Weekly News http://bit.ly/y4myFN

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: January 05, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »
£1m revamp for derelict building in Colwyn Bay - North Wales Weekly News http://bit.ly/y4myFN
"A BRAND new £1m bistro cafe, training facility and entertainment spot is to replace a derelict building on Colwyn Bay’s high street.

The Judge and Jury pub and its upper floors date back to around 1892 and will now be renovated by drug and alcohol charity Cais, following an application to Conwy’s planning department.

Cais says the new building is not a treatment facility for recovering addicts and alcoholics, but a venue to train those recovering from addiction, giving them job prospects and qualifications. The charity already operates a treatment service at the nearby Dawn Centre on Prince’s Drive.

The pub is still open for business but the building and its dilapidated upper floors are now going through the final stages of sale negotiations with the private owner.

Once complete, the Grade II listed building will feature a cafe/ takeaway, entertainment space, training kitchen, meeting rooms and offices for the Probation Service."

Hmmm...one less pub in Colwyn Bay.

Whilst I welcome the investment and renovation of this building, I would raise the issue of a charity operating a business (a cafe) in direct competition with local businesses in the area. Is this right? Business owners are having a hard time anyway at the moment, do they really need the extra competition from a charity that will be able to undercut them?

Former Municipal Building, Station Road, Colwyn Bay by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline dwsi

« Reply #290 on: January 05, 2012, 06:48:10 pm »
"A BRAND new £1m bistro cafe, training facility and entertainment spot is to replace a derelict building on Colwyn Bay’s high street.

The Judge and Jury pub and its upper floors date back to around 1892 and will now be renovated by drug and alcohol charity Cais, following an application to Conwy’s planning department.

Cais says the new building is not a treatment facility for recovering addicts and alcoholics, but a venue to train those recovering from addiction, giving them job prospects and qualifications. The charity already operates a treatment service at the nearby Dawn Centre on Prince’s Drive.

The pub is still open for business but the building and its dilapidated upper floors are now going through the final stages of sale negotiations with the private owner.

Once complete, the Grade II listed building will feature a cafe/ takeaway, entertainment space, training kitchen, meeting rooms and offices for the Probation Service."

Hmmm...one less pub in Colwyn Bay.

Whilst I welcome the investment and renovation of this building, I would raise the issue of a charity operating a business (a cafe) in direct competition with local businesses in the area. Is this right? Business owners are having a hard time anyway at the moment, do they really need the extra competition from a charity that will be able to undercut them?

Former Municipal Building, Station Road, Colwyn Bay by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

41/43, Station Road, Colwyn Bay >> St Davids Property - Property Site Manager. -  http://bit.ly/zZdCr5

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2012, 08:02:23 pm »
Been for sale for many years, I've looked at it myself. Upper floors are pretty much derelict. I did a blog post about its history a couple of years ago:

http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/07/muncipal-building-station-road-colwyn.html

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:20 pm »
From John Evans on Twitter:

'Major incident in Pwllycrochan Woods #ColwynBay earlier....Police chopper, 3 police cars, 2 ambulances, full mountain rescue team, near ravine.'

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2012, 10:36:08 am »
From John Evans on Twitter:

'Major incident in Pwllycrochan Woods #ColwynBay earlier....Police chopper, 3 police cars, 2 ambulances, full mountain rescue team, near ravine.'

Any more news on what happened?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2012, 10:52:51 am »
I believe a car crashed down the ravine and the occupant had to be rescued but am not 100% sure.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2012, 01:07:44 pm »
I've not noticed anything when I've gone by today but it has happened before by the bad bend when a mini coming down the hill somehow missed the barriers and hit a tree on it's way down

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Hugo

« Reply #297 on: January 12, 2012, 03:13:02 pm »
Thanks for posting the link Dave. Last night I saw the helicopter hovering overhead for quite a while but didn't know what was going on and just now I drove down the hill but couldn't see anything that could indicate what had happened last night.
It seems though that a lot of the emergency services were involved in this operation.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: January 12, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »
The Inshore Lifeboat has been called out to an incident at Colwyn Bay. It is just being launched from the Slipway by the new Waterfront Centre.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2012, 08:36:37 am »
Been for sale for many years, I've looked at it myself. Upper floors are pretty much derelict. I did a blog post about its history a couple of years ago:

http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/07/muncipal-building-station-road-colwyn.html

Judge and Jury pub claim they are not moving for Cais
Jan 12 2012
by Richard Evans, North Wales Weekly News

AN ANGRY pub landlord says he has no plans to close despite a drugs charity planning to open a cafe, educational centre and entertainment spot at his premises.

Last week drugs charity Cais claimed it was applying to Conwy planners to transform the Judge and Jury pub on Station Road in Colwyn Bay while the sale went through. Llandudno-based Cais said the £1m bistro, training cafe, Probation Service office and entertainment spot would be funded through the Welsh Government as well as charity. The centre will train recovering addicts and alcoholics in the catering industry, but not provide treatment.

But angry landlord Sean Flemming says he has no plans to close after running the pub for two years. Sean, who has the freehold on the pub with his partner Dawn Lemm, has a lease on the property until 2019 and plans to stay open. “I’m annoyed because my customers think we are closing now and I’ve spent two years building my business up,” he said. “The Imperial has shut and the Litten Tree has closed but we’ve managed to stick it out during these hard times. We’ve got customers coming in asking ‘what the heck is going on?’. “Most of our customers are older daytime drinkers and we’ve invested about £25,000 in the pub. Also, Cais said the upper part of the building is derelict – well, that’s the flat we live in!”

Clive Wolfendale is the chief executive of Cais and said the sale of the building was still going through.
“The relationship between the tenant and the landlord is out of our hands,” he said.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2012/01/12/judge-and-jury-pub-claim-they-are-not-moving-for-cais-55243-30104100/

So CAIS are buying a building that they cant use until 2019? :laugh: