Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627353 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1500 on: July 10, 2020, 10:32:47 am »
A 105-home development, changes to a former nightclub and how much manure a free range egg production facility will produce were among items considered by Conwy county council’s planning committee.

Proposals included plans to build 60 apartments and 42 houses by converting the Queen’s Lodge and demolishing the Mary Bamber Convalescent Centre, off Queen’s Avenue, Colwyn Bay, and a bungalow.

The development by Blue Bay Homes and Coastal Homes would see Queen’s Lodge redeveloped to build 14 apartments and three town houses.

The Mary Bamber Convalescent Centre would make way for 46 apartments and 42 new homes comprising of three, four and five bed properties.

A separate proposal saw conservation area consent granted to demolish the former convalescent home, which had been subject to vandalism and fire damage.
As part of the application there will be 80 parking spaces for the 105 dwelling scheme.

More  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18573992.homes-plan-see-queens-lodge-converted-mary-bamber-convalescent-centre-demolished/

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1501 on: July 10, 2020, 02:30:51 pm »
It was extremely generous of the firm to offer £40K   in lieu of not building affordable houses         &shake& &shake&

That site has many mature trees worthy of tree preservation orders (  TPO's )   so what is CCBC playing at?      Once the trees are gone then they cannot be replayed and the character of the area will have gone for good       

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1502 on: July 10, 2020, 07:28:54 pm »
I would think CCBC are not really bothered how many trees are felled Hugo it is pretty obvious their main concern is to fill the area with as many geriatrics from the Midlands & the North West  of England to put more pressure on our services , the new developments are not for locals they are to expensive .
Who are the developers ,have these two companies Blue Bay Homes & Coastal Homes have a track record or are they a new consortium just to develop this site ,CCBC appear to have been very pleased with there plans whats the point of a conservation area if you allow someone to destroy it .

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1503 on: July 10, 2020, 10:44:16 pm »
the new developments are not for locals they are to expensive .

It's long over due that Developers are prevented from wriggling out of building affordable houses as part of their developments. That wouldn't half clip a few wings around here
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1504 on: July 11, 2020, 03:20:04 pm »
I cannot understand how tree preservation orders have not already been put in place in this conservation area.       Are CCBC under so much pressure to have houses built that they are working cap in hand with these developers?

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1505 on: July 13, 2020, 07:29:14 pm »
The tree`s are protected Hugo It is a conservation area , which I believe covers an area from Kings Road to Coed Pella Road , but the council have decided otherwise and given the developers permission to fell approximately 100 tree`s on the site, so I presume the conservation area is no more .
Blue Bay Homes are the company who are developing the Penmaenhead complex ,it should be interesting to see what they come up with for Queens Lodge
Over the weekend I read an article by Hugh Trevor Roper on his opinion of a government department from the last war I thought it was very apt for most of our representatives and I quote A colony of coots in an unventilated backwater of bureaucracy A bunch of dependant bumsuckers held together by neglect like a cluster of bats in an upswept barn , absolutely brilliant   

Offline SteveH

Re: COLWYN Bay's 50th anniversary bonfire night cancelled.
« Reply #1506 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:18 am »
COLWYN Bay's 50th anniversary bonfire night event has been cancelled.     

Following news that the Llandudno event would .......... NOT.......take place this year, The Bay of Colwyn Town Council has followed suit with their bonfire and fireworks event, which was due to be held in Eirias Park on November 5.

The event was set to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first community bonfire event in the park, held on November 5 1970.

The Town Mayor, Cllr Neil Bastow, commented “We are aware that many local families, who attend this event every year, will be disappointed, but assure you that this decision has not been taken lightly.

cont         https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18611627.colwyn-bays-50th-anniversary-bonfire-night-plans-scrapped-due-coronavirus-concerns/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1507 on: August 01, 2020, 05:56:25 pm »

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay....Friends of Eirias Park
« Reply #1508 on: August 07, 2020, 01:39:37 pm »
Friends of Eirias Park FB page,  showing overnight vandalism at the park bowling club.................  a pet hate of mine, moronic destruction.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1509 on: August 07, 2020, 04:27:52 pm »
Bowling clubs have enough problems at the moment as it is, they can do without MORONS damaging the infrastructure,   *punch*
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1510 on: August 08, 2020, 03:07:33 pm »
The traffic on the A55 going through Colwyn Bay was horrendous today so I'll be staying put this weekend.     I took these photos from my balcony and Rhos looked quite busy too

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1511 on: August 08, 2020, 04:37:14 pm »
Great photos, Hugo.  $cool$

Are you also able to see how busy it is in both Blackpool and Douglas?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1512 on: August 08, 2020, 06:37:36 pm »
Thanks BRI,   yes we can see them and  Northern Ireland,  Scottish lowlands and Cumbria all on a good day

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1513 on: August 08, 2020, 09:59:00 pm »
Thanks BRI,   yes we can see them and  Northern Ireland,  Scottish lowlands and Cumbria all on a good day

We went to the top of the Orme today and could see the I.O.M  $sunny$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1514 on: August 09, 2020, 10:20:24 am »
The Isle of Man was also quite clear from here in the evening and so was Northern Island.        We are quite lucky because years ago we could only see the north of the Isle of Man but a builder had four massive trees cut down and so now we can see all of the island and parts of Northern Island too