Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626504 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1485 on: June 11, 2020, 12:59:50 pm »
A few members of the family had connections to this building, including when both my mother and father met the Queen and Prince Philip, I hope any development maintains it's character.

A Grade II listed former civic building could become offices and the base for a financial advice and mortgage company if planners agree to new proposals.
Former civic centre Glan-y-Don Hall sits off Abergele Road in Colwyn Bay between North Wales Police headquarters and Eirias Park.

Now financial advice firm 75point3 wants to turn it into a new base with leased office space, events rooms, meeting rooms and shared work spaces.

The building comprises more than 30,000 square feet of “usable” office space and the ambitious plans would see the dilapidated building retain many of its original features.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18510401.new-lease-life-planned-grade-ii-listed-building/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1486 on: June 12, 2020, 12:42:03 pm »
A controversial housing development was approved for a second time despite a councillor declaring “somebody has to take a stand against these developers”.

At its virtual meeting on Wednesday Conwy council’s planning committee considered the application by Macbryde Homes for the 22-home scheme off Dolwen Road, Old Colwyn.

On January 8 this year the scheme was handed to officers to approve with conditions laid down by the committee about road widening, landscaping, street lighting and Section 106 payments – which help towards improving community assets such as open spaces, play areas and local services.

However the scheme came back before the committee because a planning policy relating to housing supply (TAN 1) was scrapped by Welsh Government before the details were agreed and signed off.

Cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18513541.macbryde-homes-given-permission-22-home-scheme-off-dolwen-road-old-colwyn/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1487 on: June 13, 2020, 03:23:05 pm »
A further £6m is being invested to strengthen Victorian sea defences on the promenade in Old Colwyn.

Work worth £1.6m had already begun on a 2m-high (6.5ft) rock wall at Splash Point, Conwy, in January.

But there were fears locally that the funding was insufficient to protect it from rough seas and high tides which had led to frequent closures.

Conwy County Borough Council said the announcement by the Welsh Government was "great news".

The new investment comes as part of a £16m Resilient Roads Fund which was announced by Ken Skates, minister for economy, transport and North Wales, on Friday

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53034505

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1488 on: June 26, 2020, 08:53:48 am »
I have noticed a small ship that has been anchored in the bay for a few days but I have no idea why it is there.  Has anyone got any ideas?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1489 on: June 26, 2020, 09:13:54 am »
Good to have you back, Hugo.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1490 on: June 26, 2020, 09:48:08 am »
I have noticed a small ship that has been anchored in the bay for a few days but I have no idea why it is there.  Has anyone got any ideas?
According to www.marinetraffic.com there are two there at the moment ... one is named "Patricia" and is a buoy-laying vessel, and the other is named "Beaumont" and is a general cargo ship heading for Llanddulas.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1491 on: June 26, 2020, 12:34:14 pm »
The second boat arrived here this morning and the other boat has now gone    I have taken photos of the first one but cannot see the name of it but once I can put the photos on to my laptop on Monday
Thanks for posting the link    $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1492 on: June 27, 2020, 12:09:38 pm »
The second boat arrived here this morning and the other boat has now gone    I have taken photos of the first one but cannot see the name of it but once I can put the photos on to my laptop on Monday
Thanks for posting the link    $good$

Hugo: it's in our Useful links under Miscellaneous.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1493 on: June 27, 2020, 02:48:52 pm »
Thanks very much Ian for posting that link, it is very comprehensive and great for people on the forum.  I will have a better look when I have my laptop repaired as this tablet is driving me around the bend and I will be glad to see the back of it asap

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1494 on: July 01, 2020, 10:59:24 am »
The ship anchored off Colwyn Bay for almost two weeks - and why it's there
The THV Patricia's presence has generated a lot of interest amongt local residents

The presence of the THV Patricia has stirred a lot of interest amongst residents wondering why the vessel has pitched up off the bay.
It turns out the 38-year-old vessel had to stay at anchor longer than planned, to shelter from the recent spell of bad weather

Its owners, London based charity-Trinity House, said they are "dedicated to safeguarding shipping and seafarers".
The vessel which was built in 1982 has been carrying out routine buoy servicing operation in North Wales waters during its time here.
The 2,639 tonne vessel is 86 metres in length and has made for an arresting sight off the coast-especially at night when it's all lit up.

"We are Predominantly trying to complete inspections of the Hoyle Channel buoyage. These buoys are in shallow water and therefore attendance has to be planned around high water and (for the last couple of days) the weather too."

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ship-anchored-colwyn-bay-almost-18506802

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #1495 on: July 03, 2020, 09:03:24 am »

PATRICIA has  gone into dry dock at Lairds.

Offline bigbadhenry

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1497 on: July 06, 2020, 07:18:14 pm »
Has anyone any information regarding The British Legion Colwyn Bay , believe there are plans to demolish the existing and develop the site .

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1498 on: July 09, 2020, 10:25:36 am »
OLD Colwyn promenade has fully reopened after six months.

The prom was closed as part of £1.6million works, funded by Welsh Government, to improve the sea defences and active travel route at Splash Point by Old Colwyn Arches.

The Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC) project included installing a rock barricade to protect the vulnerable Victorian seawall at the eastern end of the promenade, as well as the A55 and national railway bridges, from the risks posed by severe weather. The works also included improvements to the active travel route, shared by pedestrians and cyclists and disabled parking.

cont / photos   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18571384.old-colwyn-promenade-reopens-active-travel-disabled-parking/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1499 on: July 09, 2020, 09:51:50 pm »
We had a lovely sunset tonight and I took these photos from my balcony about 10 minutes ago.