Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627415 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1395 on: September 13, 2018, 12:22:22 pm »

Offline poppy

« Reply #1396 on: September 13, 2018, 11:59:08 pm »
Where's the clock going?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1397 on: September 14, 2018, 08:21:53 am »
Being given its 30 year service, it seems.  In terms of where - geographically - it's going I don't know.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1398 on: October 17, 2018, 03:42:18 pm »
Inside Conwy Council's new state-of-the art £35m offices
Hundreds of staff will be moving in during the next couple of weeks pumping an estimated £1m into the local economy.

Photos  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/inside-conwy-councils-new-state-15286223

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1399 on: October 27, 2018, 09:56:09 am »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1400 on: October 27, 2018, 10:59:08 am »
"A former well known stationary shop"

I thought most shops were stationary?  Easy mistake to make, but the DP should have known better.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #1401 on: October 28, 2018, 05:23:46 pm »
"A former well known stationary shop"

I thought most shops were stationary?  Easy mistake to make, but the DP should have known better.

It’s the sort of thing that I’m unlikely to notice and can easily do myself, but, you are right, professional journalists and editors should not make this type of mistake.

Mind you, I can get fed up with journalism.  A pet gripe is the extensive use of Twitter on online sites such as BBC news, The Guardian, etc. I don’t need to see the “and Fred Blogs said” repeated as the “Tweet” in the article but I guess it fills up a page... 

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1402 on: November 06, 2018, 02:54:29 pm »
Developer has submitted plans for Queens Lodge ,100no. houses and redevelop the existing house into luxury apartments , also Rydal has sold 2no. houses to convert into apartments on Queens Drive and the corner of Pwllcrochan Avenue

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1403 on: November 06, 2018, 02:59:07 pm »
Who is the developer Robbie?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1404 on: November 07, 2018, 10:23:20 pm »
Taxi driver seriously hurt in Colwyn Bay crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46130158

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1405 on: November 08, 2018, 12:11:43 pm »
Meleri hourigan connolly.com are the developers for Queens Lodge however I think this is a consultation document ,the Rydal properties are a separate development I don't know who the developers are for this project , as you may well know this is a conservation area so they will be limited to what they can do

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1406 on: November 09, 2018, 11:49:19 am »
Panto stars are set to flick the switch to the Christmas spirit in Colwyn Bay this year.

Stuart Loughland, who has worked with the likes of Peter Kay, Joe Pasquale and the Chuckle Brothers, and fellow cast members from the production of Dick Whittington at Theatr Colwyn will be the guests of honour for the Christmas extravaganza.

The extravaganza will see the panto stars flick the switch to the town's Christmas lights and begin the festive season in Colwyn Bay.

There will be five hours of fun-filled activities on the town’s Station and Seaview Roads Friday, all organised by the Colwyn Business Improvement District (BID).

As well as the appearances by characters from the pantomime, there will also be a giant snow globe, a talent show and, of course, Father Christmas and his Grotto.

Colwyn BID's Anna Openshaw said she promised the event would be the biggest and best event they have ever done.

She said: “There will be a magical atmosphere on the streets of Colwyn Bay with everything you need for a Christmas street party, carols, mulled wine, hot drinks and lots of seasonal treats."

The extravaganza will run from 4pm until 9pm on November 30th. and will feature a Christmas fair of 16 wooden chalets selling local produce, crafts and tasty seasonal goodies.    ref Pioneer

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1407 on: November 12, 2018, 10:06:05 am »
A pet gripe is the extensive use of Twitter on online sites such as BBC news, The Guardian, etc. I don’t need to see the “and Fred Blogs said” repeated as the “Tweet” in the article but I guess it fills up a page...
You have highlighted one of the banes of modern life. I cannot see how including the deluded ramblings of cellar dwelling twitter geeks is of any relevance or interest at all.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1408 on: November 14, 2018, 01:49:45 pm »
More pay and display ticket machines have been installed on the Colwyn Bay promenade – but by mistake.

Three machines have been installed on the beach front between The Toad and the junction with the Cayley Promenade on the Colwyn Bay side.

This looked set to be the third installation of pay and display machines on the promenade, with drivers already having to pay for parking between Rotary Way - by the junction 22 turn off, and Marine Road.
But Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC) said, while an extension of paid parking is planned, these three new machines were installed “in error”.

A CCBC spokesperson said: “Contractors have installed three parking meters in error. These machines are not operational and will be covered.
“The intention is to extend parking charges from Marine Road to the junction with the Cayley Promenade on the Rhos On Sea side, but there is no definite timescale for this at present.”

Charges will apply between 10am and 4pm and will cost 50p for one hour, £1 for two, £2.50 for four and £3.50 for more than four hours.

Previous installations have caused uproar amongst residents from the area, with a number of readers taking to social media saying the paid parking would deter them from parking on the beach front in Colwyn Bay.

But the CCBC spokesperson said the introduction of charges between Rotary Way and Marine Road had had no significant impact on parking habits to date.
Figures for parking on that section of the promenade between February 12 and June 3 showed 7,231 people still paid to park in this area.

Colwyn Bay mayor, councillor Stephen Williams, said while the new paid parking system may not deter visitors, it was beginning to create an an issue for residents.

Cllr Williams said: “It is a difficult decision. Tourists have no problem in paying because of the facilities they get for that money.
"But the problem is going to be during the day with local people. They are losing more and more parking spaces and it is getting harder and harder to park in Colwyn Bay.

“I get it, why Conwy County Borough Council are doing this from a financial point of view, but there needs to be a balance. Residents have to be given options. Something’s got to happen the county council certainly can’t keep taking valuable spaces.”
Money from the parking machines is used to keep Conwy’s roads safe, clean and attractive.   ref Pioneer

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #1409 on: November 14, 2018, 02:43:31 pm »
Why cannot the council place a parking permit in the envelope when they send the council tax bills out each year instead of the rubbish we get?? At least we residents will feel that we are getting something for our money!!!