Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626840 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2011, 03:29:55 pm »
I agree BlongB, and luckliy that was the preferred method on most occasions. 
I benefitted from that personally too (at the very end)

However on one occasion I well remember an expensive firm of consultantscame in, compiled a list of what they considered dead wood and we were left to implement it.
In fact it was purely a way of getting rid of the youngest and cheapest victims.
Thereby leaving behind older (more expensive to pay) and demoralised staff... who really wanted to go!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »
Which ever method is used Fester, it will bring heart ache and misery to some poor soul
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2011, 02:25:56 pm »
I've noticed a few times lately that Speakers Corner cafe has not been open when I've gone past. I looked in through the window today and saw the entire place seemed to be covered in dust! Does anyone know if they've shut down or is something else going on?
I can now answer my own question - Speakers has shut down after the Landlord seized the premises for non payment of rent.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »
The Murmuration at Colwyn Bay Pier.

"A “murmuration” of starlings, as this phenomenon is known, must be one of the most magical, yet underrated, wildlife spectacles on display in winter. Impenetrable as the flock’s movements might seem to the human eye, the underlying maths is comparatively straightforward. Each bird strives to fly as close to its neighbours as possible, instantly copying any changes in speed or direction. As a result, tiny deviations by one bird are magnified and distorted by those surrounding it, creating rippling, swirling patterns. In other words, this is a classic case of mathematical chaos (larger shapes composed of infinitely varied smaller patterns). Whatever the science, however, it is difficult for the observer to think of it as anything other than some vast living entity. The logic behind this spectacular behaviour is simple: survival. Starlings are tasty morsels for peregrines, merlins and sparrowhawks. The answer is to seek safety in numbers, gathering in flocks and with every bird trying to avoid the edge where adept predators can sometimes snatch a victim."

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2011, 09:22:46 pm »
The maths is simple?   I was with you when you took these pictures remember... and I never saw any of these birds using a calculator.

Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2011, 09:30:32 pm »
I said it was worth seeing and as you know Fester, bird's brains are powerfull  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2011, 02:21:31 pm »
Contractors are due to start this week on the first phase of £5m plans to improve Colwyn Bay's coastal defences and promenade facilities.

The initial phase is designed to protect more than 200 properties, the A55 and railway line opposite the northern entrance to Eirias Park.

A storm last winter caused damage that cost more than £500,000 to repair.

The current defences are more than 100 years old, with the promenade the first line of defence against the Irish Sea.

Contractors are preparing to start work this week after Conwy County Borough Council confirmed it had received final funding.

In total, £2.3m has been confirmed from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) along with £2.7m from the Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) announced last month.

Phase 1a will also see the first part of the promenade improvements taking place, including a new raised area for visitors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-12523484

Offline Hugo

« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2011, 02:37:12 pm »
I could see black smoke billowing past my house and went to investigate where it was coming from. It smelt of burning plastic and as I neared the source I could see that my neighbours house was on fire. It was so distressing to see the family outside the house watching it go up in flames and hearing explosions inside the building. The Fire Service had been called out by a few neighbours but hadn't arrived yet although the sirens could be heard in the distance. I counted 4 fire engines,1 ambulance,a Police car and two other vehicles arriving on the scene.
I saw the lady owner arriving back from her walk with the dog. She had gone out for a walk and was arriving back completely unaware of what was going on and was devastated to learn of what had happened. It was so upsetting to witness such a thing and the only good thing was that no one was seriously injured although the husband had burns to his hands and face and was taken to hospital. I should imagine he is also suffering from smoke inhalation too.
My thoughts are with the family because it must be extremely hard to cope as they only have the clothes that they are wearing. Everything else in the house must be damaged by the fire or by the water from the Fire Engines. It happened about 10.30am and the Fire Engines and the Incident Command Unit have only just left the scene.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2011, 03:16:12 pm »
How dreadful.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Jack

« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2011, 06:21:26 pm »
It must have been a massive blaze because I could see the smoke rising as I sat in the traffic jam on the A55 at Llandulas, a fire engine from Abergele was going down the old road presumably to help the Colwyn Bay crews and as I neared Llandudno another fire engine was heading down the 470 towards Colwyn Bay.  Very Sad, any idea what caused it?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »
I heard something said but I don't want to speculate at this moment. I saw two people with Cameras go into the place and the Fire Investigators were there but heard nothing since.
Late this afternoon I drove past and the damage was not readily visible but the windows were open to let out the smell of smoke.
I've got a lot of sympathy for the family as I went through something similar with a relative  but not on the same scale but that's another story and I wouldn't like to go through it again

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2011, 08:42:14 pm »
Pray God they were fully insured.... and I am so relieved that no one has been badly hurt.
That may be the only shred of comfort that the family can cling on to at the moment.
Fester...

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2011, 08:55:12 pm »
You go through each day and you think  your minor things look important but in the wider scheme they are nothing but a trifle. Why do i keep worrying about  things instead of getting on and making the most of each day?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:58:04 pm by TheMedz »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2011, 12:03:52 am »
I learned a few years ago to (try) and not worry about things I can't affect.

One of my biggest fears was redundancy.
Then I realised that if those at 'the top' were planning to edge me out, there was nothing I could do about it, so why worry?
Similarly, if an asteroid is about to hit the Earth tomorrow, I can't stop that happening.

Eventually redundancy DID come, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me!!
Fester...

brumbob

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2011, 03:44:50 pm »
Eventually redundancy DID come, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me!!
I was expecting voluntary redundancies shortly, I'm gutted they're not going to happen now  :rage: