Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626912 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2011, 06:54:47 pm »
Whilst in Colwyn Bay this morning, I noticed that the former United Reform Church (corner of Sea View Road/Abergele Road) had come up for sale yet again. It's going for auction, with a guide price of £125,000. Looks cheap for the money but,beware, it's a moneypit even with CCBC grants available:
In a letter dated 4th June 2010 from Conwy County Borough Council it was indicated that a grant would be available for internal and external works. Internal works grant at 50% of the total cost and external works at 80% of the total cost, subject to grant resources being available.

Some photos from when i viewed it back in December 2008:

Exploring by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Exploring.. by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Details:
http://www.propertypilot.co.uk/pdf/160+1359.PDF
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:57:24 pm by DaveR »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2011, 11:02:59 pm »
Would make a great show gallery for Snakecorps Photography PLC

Lets have it.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:36 am »
Would make a great show gallery for Snakecorps Photography PLC

Lets have it.
Not in Colwyn Bay, thank you!

Yorkie

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2011, 02:29:10 pm »
Penrhyn Bay Library may be available soon!     $wales

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2011, 12:02:32 pm »
It has been snowing up here on the heights and it was sticking. There was about half an inch on the drive when I cleared it but it's starting to melt now.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2011, 07:02:36 pm »
I noticed that a whole section of Lawson Road has been fenced off, presumably ready for demolition. Let's hope the bulldozer keeps going and clears the whole road...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2011, 04:57:29 pm »
I've noticed a few times lately that Speakers Corner cafe has not been open when I've gone past. I looked in through the window today and saw the entire place seemed to be covered in dust! Does anyone know if they've shut down or is something else going on?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »
I'll give them £50 for the drum kit, if they have closed down
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »
I suspect your neighbours would offer more...to prevent it getting into your hands!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2011, 11:00:06 pm »
the other day we went to see the starlings at Colwyn Bay pier, well worth  a look at around 4.15pm on. There must have been thousands of them swirling around

the condition of the pier is not improving!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2011, 01:04:54 am »
Dixieland used to be full of birds in it's heyday.

Sadly, it's only the feathered variety seen on the pier now.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2011, 12:33:26 pm »
Big cutbacks coming at Rydal School. Could its long term survival be in jeopardy?

RYDAL Penrhos School in Colwyn Bay plans to axe up to 37 members of staff as it faces an £833,000 debt.

The private school on Pwllycrochan Avenue blames falling pupil numbers, especially boarders, and the financial climate for the cuts which are will be made following a consultation process.

Facing job losses are eight teachers, 10 catering staff, 10 cleaners as well as technicians and staff from the boarding, administration and bursary departments and Rydal Penrhos Society.

Controversially, the school is planning to drop Welsh and Latin from the secondary curriculum, and only clean the school every other day.
Pupil teaching hours will be cut from 32 lessons a week to 29, with pupils expected to work outside lessons to make up the shortfall. Teachers are also expected to help with “extra-curricular” studies as part of their new contract.

Headmaster Patrick Lee-Browne says the proposals are a worst-case scenario, but one former teacher says morale is very low among staff.
“It is impossible to run a good educational establishment when you completely demoralise the staff,” she said.
“They have been asked to work more for less money. Morale was in their boots when I left.”

Another anonymous teacher, still at the school, felt similarly: “Staff have lost confidence in the management which has failed to show any leadership in the last three years and the staff believe it is this lack of leadership, and not the recession, that has caused the dip in numbers at the school.”

The school, which charges fees of between £3,600 and £7,805 a term, is negotiating with trade unions and staff until the 90-day consultation is complete in March.

Staff facing the chop will be scored on attendance, extra curricular contribution, flexibility, responsibility, qualifications and experience.
As well as job cuts, responsibilities will be reallocated as the current 21 heads of department will be replaced by eight faculty heads.
The school employs 220 staff, with 75 teachers.

Headmaster Patrick Lee-Browne said the school was still working to avoid redundancies.
“The proposals are the worst case scenario. We are working to avoid redundancies,” he said.
“We’re making good progress with the consultation to reach agreements to try and save costs.”

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/02/03/redundancies-expected-at-colwyn-bay-school-55243-28103868/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2011, 02:51:59 pm »
I really hope they have come up with a robust, transparent and above all FAIR method for determining redundanies.

The criteria mentioned are similar to those my colleagues and I were forced use on many occasions when redundancies came around.

However, many injustices were done as each manager conducting the appraisals and 'ticking the boxes' , all had a different view of what 'good' looked like.

Some managers were lenient, others were very much ''by the book''.  That invariably meant that stricter managers lost more staff, as their judgement made thier staff SEEM as if they had more faults.

One girl was given a mention in her appraisal for using the internet during working hours.  Although she was actually the least offender in the office.
Other managers never took their staff to task on this issue,  and this resulted in the poor girl LOSING her job when the scores were totted up!

Fester...

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2011, 03:01:44 pm »
I've always been in favour of voluntary first, then if necessary last in first out. That way at least everyone knows where there up to and it gets rid of managerial bias 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)