Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626943 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1140 on: August 24, 2016, 08:14:58 am »
Yes. The logic seems to change depending on the council's intentions. If they want to promote something costly (changes to the prom, Porth Eirias, etc) then they say it's "economically beneficial to the region" (in some vague, unquantifiable way). But if they want to get rid of something (eg the pier) they focus on the costs instead, and go quiet on all the unquantifiable ways in which it would "economically benefit" the area.
Spot on!  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1141 on: August 24, 2016, 08:16:36 am »
VC certainly is.
wow! since when?

The latest annual accounts aren't out yet, but in 2014/15, Venue Cymru lost £1,710,000. Theatr Colwyn £18,000 and the Great Orme Tramway £181,000 - Total losses for the 3 main attractions (their words not mine) of £1.9 million!

Yes, they made a big loss 14/15.  But I can't remember where I saw it but there was a piece saying VC had not only broken even but made a profit this year.
I'd be absolutely amazed if that were the case (sadly).

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1142 on: August 25, 2016, 08:05:54 pm »
   Anyone any idea what the dozen or more "20" signs that have suddenly appeared on every third lamppost between Aber Hod and the "pink car" cafe kiosk mean? They certainly look very like a speed limit sign, circular with a red ring around the outside but are much larger than the repeater signs that often are in place in a speed reduction area. But they are not as big as the normal speed limit signs, and, unless of course I failed to see it, there is no normal reduction from 30 to 20 at entry. And nothing if you drive from Colwyn Bay to Rhos. And no sign when you leave the stretch.
  Does it mean you must not exceed 20 driving from Rhos to the Bay but you can go to 30 the opposite way? There are a very small number of roads like that. Just before you go over the bridge in Queensferry from England you are restriction free but on the other side of the dual carriageway you are restricted.
   Ive got a vested interest. I got a ticket driving towards Rhos last week. About two days before the prom further along was closed

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #1143 on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:39 pm »
Cannot find them in the Highway Code and you need the large signs to enforce a speed limit according to the awareness course I recrntly attended!! I did 29.5 mph along there yesterday with a police car right behind with no bother. I would agree you need signs going the other way but are they for the cycle path perhaps?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1144 on: August 26, 2016, 07:13:27 am »
20mph signs appeared in Llanrwst more than a year ago, intended (I think) to slow traffic down as it passes through the centre - although going any faster there would be pretty difficult, anyway. But they don't conform to RTA regs; they have signs on the way in from both directions but no signs on the way out to show the limit has changed.  I seem to remember legislation passed a few years ago allowed councils to introduce 20mph zones where they felt appropriate. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline peterh

« Reply #1145 on: August 26, 2016, 08:07:40 am »
What I don't understand is the yellow background which is something I have never seen on a circular sign. There are no such signs listed on the web so they are a mystery. Maybe a mistake!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1146 on: August 26, 2016, 08:12:11 am »
The Llanwrst signs are standard colouring.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1147 on: August 26, 2016, 08:32:05 am »
   Anyone any idea what the dozen or more "20" signs that have suddenly appeared on every third lamppost between Aber Hod and the "pink car" cafe kiosk mean? They certainly look very like a speed limit sign, circular with a red ring around the outside but are much larger than the repeater signs that often are in place in a speed reduction area. But they are not as big as the normal speed limit signs, and, unless of course I failed to see it, there is no normal reduction from 30 to 20 at entry. And nothing if you drive from Colwyn Bay to Rhos. And no sign when you leave the stretch.
  Does it mean you must not exceed 20 driving from Rhos to the Bay but you can go to 30 the opposite way? There are a very small number of roads like that. Just before you go over the bridge in Queensferry from England you are restriction free but on the other side of the dual carriageway you are restricted.
   Ive got a vested interest. I got a ticket driving towards Rhos last week. About two days before the prom further along was closed
They're all all to do with the Prom road closure, I think, as the yellow background of the signs matches the various diversion signs that have appeared around the area at the same time.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1148 on: August 26, 2016, 06:32:29 pm »
Looks like the signs are not working............

17:54 TOM DAVIDSON
Reports from scene
Accident on Cayley Prom.

It appears a pedestrian was not hit by a car but rather left his car following a crash with another vehicle and collapsed, he was then taken to hospital.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/live-colwyn-bay-road-closed-11806619

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1149 on: August 26, 2016, 07:41:24 pm »
It turned out a man collapsed AFTER a crash on that one, don't blame the signage! http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-collapses-after-colwyn-bay-11807124
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1150 on: August 30, 2016, 06:09:38 am »
It was a warm sunny day in the Bay yesterday and it looks like it's going to be another good day today.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1151 on: August 31, 2016, 11:14:38 am »
Colwyn Bay free beach wi-fi is 'first in north Wales'.
Conwy council said the service in Colwyn Bay was the first of its type in north Wales.
The free wi-fi zone runs from Porth Eirias to the pier.
Cllr Mike Priestley, Conwy's cabinet member for communication said: "We recognise that having access to information quickly is increasingly important, with benefits for both users and businesses."
Ref BBC Wales

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1152 on: August 31, 2016, 01:46:06 pm »
Where else ?What a surprise, bet Llandudno doesn't get a look in ! :-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1153 on: August 31, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »
Where else ?What a surprise, bet Llandudno doesn't get a look in ! :-X

And yet, a lot of people in C.B. think Llandudno, get's it all?

I Googled "can a town get grants, to set up free WiFi" ......I found this old article interesting, with some successes and costly failures.    (I wonder which way CCBC's will go)
https://www.theguardian.com/local-government-network/2011/dec/05/councils-free-public-wifi-networks

Free WiFi? Councils, proceed with caution...........
Town and city councils are, rightly, taking action to implement open WiFi networks, keeping pace with the demand for ‘always on’ network connectivity and the shift towards ‘smarter’ lifestyles. Choosing the right provider, however, is key to avoid falling at the first hurdles: finance and expertise.
http://www.intechnologywifi.com/blog/free-wifi-councils-proceed-with-caution/

And if you want to dig deeper this is the full page of links....
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enES433ES433&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=can%20a%20town%20get%20a%20grant%20for%20wi%20fi

Makes me wonder, just how much cost is involved..........?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1154 on: August 31, 2016, 06:13:58 pm »
I feel a freedom of information request coming on !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.