Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626228 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1020 on: March 11, 2016, 10:40:14 pm »
I don't know what is going on by the Toad right now Mike but there is a 5 way traffic system in place near the building. It's a bit of a nightmare at times

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1021 on: March 18, 2016, 02:11:22 pm »
Colwyn Bay's Parc Eirias to benefit from £5 million loan to improve facilities

The Deputy Minister for culture, sport and tourism, Ken Skates AM, announced today (Friday, March 18) that Parc Eirias will benefit from the £5 million Welsh Government loan scheme to update its facilities, which will include the addition of  a new 3G pitch.

Parc Eirias will receive a loan of almost £1 million to update its facilities with  a new 3G rugby /football pitch, an artificial bowling green, a hydrotherapy pool, multi-purpose activity room and dedicated ATP hockey surface.

The Wales Collaborative Sports Facilities Group will also be providing £300,000 in funding. With almost £900,000 from Conwy County Borough Council, the total investment in the project will be £2.19million.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/159955/colwyn-bay-s-parc-eirias-to-benefit-from-5-million-loan-to-improve-facilities.aspx

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1022 on: March 18, 2016, 10:59:13 pm »
Hello Hugo, No the lights on the prom, which have now gone, were nothing at all to do with the wind towers at Porth Eirias. The substation I was writing about is just to the left of the flats nicknamed Coldich (sorry about the spelling). The lights you just mentioned were only there for a week or so to allow a very large crane lift up scaffolding etc.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1023 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:32 pm »
Hi Mike, good to see you posting on here again and hope that you are not feeling the cold after being in the tropics for so long. 
Thanks for the info about the substation near Colditz  but I wonder what has happened to the wind turbines by the Skip as they haven't been working for a while?
I was pleased to see that those lights weren't on for long as I can park nearer the Toad now.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1024 on: March 19, 2016, 09:45:37 am »
Were the lights to do with the demolition and re-build at the Rothsay?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1025 on: March 22, 2016, 05:31:15 pm »
I've been looking from my house at something in the sea off Colwyn Bay/ Old Colwyn for a while now and can't make out what it is.     It's a dark patch of water that seems to be moving about in the sea but inside the circle something else seems to be moving.
I've seen similar things in Llandudno when shoals of Mackerel came in to the bay but this time it's different.
It's certainly not a cloud but it's puzzling me as to what it is. It's probably about a mile from the shore

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1026 on: March 27, 2016, 01:18:15 pm »
Typical Bank Holiday weather today, torrential rain that was so heavy I couldn't see as far as Rhos on Sea.    I'm still drying out after having taken my dog out for his walk earlier this morning.
Hope that it clears up soon as I don't fancy getting drenched going out to the Toad later on.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1027 on: March 30, 2016, 03:27:08 pm »
Funding boost of £680,000 to Colwyn Bay town centre housing

A PROJECT to improve the energy efficiency of properties in part of Colwyn Bay is to receive a large funding boost.

The £680,000 funding, part of the Welsh Government’s Vibrant and Viable Places programme, will enable works to begin on 33 more units in Lawson Road in the town where a number of premises have already seen improvements undertaken.
The project will increase the thermal efficiency and increase their energy rating whilst tackling fuel poverty.

The scheme is one of twelve regeneration projects in Wales receiving a £12.8m boost.

The additional funding brings the total investment in the Welsh Government’s flagship regeneration scheme to £118 million. A recent report found, between 2014 - 17, the programme will create more than 2,000 jobs, support 3,000 people into work and bring a further £300 million into Wales. It is also expected to provide 1,000 affordable homes and more than 2,300 homes in the private sector

Minister for Communities and Tackling Poverty, Lesley Griffiths, said: “This additional funding is a huge boost to a key regeneration project in Colwyn Bay which will make a very real difference to their local communities. The funding will create jobs and traineeships and boost the housing supply.

“The Welsh Government is committed to creating jobs, supporting the economy and increasing housing supply and our flagship VVP programme is at the heart of our efforts.”
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/160341/funding-boost-of-680-000-to-colwyn-bay-town-centre-housing.aspx

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1028 on: March 31, 2016, 05:49:25 pm »
Yesterday and today have been really nice Spring days with sunshine and hardly any breeze.   I noticed a nice sunset last night and looking across the bay at night it's filled with lights from the windfarm

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1029 on: April 05, 2016, 10:05:16 pm »
   Pleased to see the new beach has  now got donkeys on it. Glancing as I drove past it looked as if there were 3 or 4, and although there were very few people around, there were some around the donkeys. Didn't have time to stop and see whether they were from Llandudno, but I think that is likely.
   I also spotted something going on just to the east of the pier. Looked like some men were unloading some black large models . Don't ask me what they were, I had just driven over the hump by the pier and only spotted the activity in the corner of my eye.
   I may be wrong here but I cannot recall the Bay ever having donkeys even before the war. Yes I know there is the donkey path towards Old Colwyn but I understand this nickname grew about because the owner of the path swopped it with a man for a donkey. Alf Roberts or Francis had horses on the beach at the Rhos end in the 1930s.

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #1030 on: April 06, 2016, 08:39:45 am »
Apparently, we have our very own Anthony Gormley statues on the prom........... _))* _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1031 on: April 06, 2016, 10:02:43 am »
Yes I know there is the donkey path towards Old Colwyn but I understand this nickname grew about because the owner of the path swopped it with a man for a donkey.
Close but no cigar, Mike! The Donkey Path was so named because a Donkey was raffled in order to pay for the construction of the path. In the pre-A55 days, it was a pleasant stroll through fields and trees along the path of what is now the link road from the marine roundabout down to the Prom.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1032 on: April 06, 2016, 09:51:46 pm »
Oh yes u have jogged my memory. I knew it was something like that. And of course you would know it was a pleasant walk seeing as your grandmother lived just up the road in Kennedy court. Thinks --- I wonder how he knew that?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1033 on: April 07, 2016, 11:38:55 am »
Oh yes u have jogged my memory. I knew it was something like that. And of course you would know it was a pleasant walk seeing as your grandmother lived just up the road in Kennedy court. Thinks --- I wonder how he knew that?
I think we had a chat about it once, Mike.  ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1034 on: April 07, 2016, 11:40:57 am »
CCBC will be closing the Prom to traffic from Marine Road to the Pier COMPLETELY for up to one year, with effect from the 25th April. This is to allow the next phase of the Prom reconstruction to begin. let the traffic chaos begin!