Author Topic: Fester's Favourite Pubs Thread  (Read 45831 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Fester's Favourite Pubs Thread
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:55:20 am »
As an addition to this thread, lets have people nominate their FAVOURITE PUB ...whether past or present....with a short explanation of why.

I'll kick off with The Cross Keys on Madoc St,  Its a very traditional down to earth pub,  and I met most of my friends that I now have in Llandudno in there.
They were very kind and welcoming ever since I first visited the own regularly.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

Fester's Favourite Pubs Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:20:11 am »
As an addition to this thread, lets have people nominate their FAVOURITE PUB ...whether past or present....with a short explanation of why.

I'll kick off with The Cross Keys on Madoc St,  Its a very traditional down to earth pub,  and I met most of my friends that I now have in Llandudno in there.
They were very kind and welcoming ever since I first visited the own regularly.

I think this would be better as a separate thread Fester.  Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Fester's Favourite Pubs Thread
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:24:27 am »
"Make it so"  D)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:13:25 pm »
The Links.  X:((

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:05:40 pm »
The Queen Victoria - When we first moved in (December last year) it was one of the few pubs (Weatherspoons obviously another one) offering evening pub meals. Good quality food at reasonable prices and a good selection of beer.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:59 pm »
I have to agree with both Steve and The Medz...(Nice to see that you finally made it on here Colin!!)

The Links and The Queen Vic have been well refurbished in recent years, the food in BOTH pubs is very good indeed....and I get to play darts in both of them!!   *&(

In The Links, the homemade chicken curry is top notch,   In the Vic, its hard to beat the Lamb or Beef Sunday Lunch for value...

Rumble...rumble....
Fester...

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:16 pm »
Sorry about the delay in getting on board. Exchange visit with the Pope. I went across to his place and now he's come over to the Uk.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 05:23:58 pm »
I just calculated the number of years I've known the Cross Keys (Llandudno) for. I remember walking there with my mother in the blackout - so it must have been a Saturday night, Summer 1944, and then I would have been 6 years old. So 66 years.  :speechless:  At that time The Cross had a side door at the left of the frontage. That led to a corridor with a door off it immediately to the right which led to a smallish room called the Snug. Further down the corridor was an off sales hatch from which Mam would buy me a glass of lemonade, park me on the bench which ran alongside the wall of the frontage at right angles to it, then go into the snug to meet my Nain and any of her sisters there. Our outing lasted about an hour during which I'd get regular visits to see if I was OK and hadn't wandered off.  ZXZ

Much later on my favourite had to be the London in Upper Mostyn Street. When we were playing at the Stage Door, the London had slipped in to be my temporary home and when the owner Roy (Watson) and Margot were absent I used to help run the pub with the then cellarman my old mate Mel Taylor. Long wet days! See to the cellar and the kitchen in the morning, serve through opening times, separate fighting customers, run the darts team (a 16 year old Nev Southall was a star), then, as we had accommodation, the bar was sometimes open until 4 am. The Welsh Opera were regulars when in town as was the national rugby team and many others, as well as regulars 'Chalkie' and 'Winnie' amongst others. Interestingly heady and sometimes foggy headed days.

Mike.   
Micox

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:29:34 pm »
I always thought Neville Southall was built more like a dart player than a footballer..

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:02:07 pm »
Much later on my favourite had to be the London in Upper Mostyn Street. When we were playing at the Stage Door, the London had slipped in to be my temporary home and when the owner Roy (Watson) and Margot were absent I used to help run the pub with the then cellarman my old mate Mel Taylor. Long wet days! See to the cellar and the kitchen in the morning, serve through opening times, separate fighting customers, run the darts team (a 16 year old Nev Southall was a star), then, as we had accommodation, the bar was sometimes open until 4 am. The Welsh Opera were regulars when in town as was the national rugby team and many others, as well as regulars 'Chalkie' and 'Winnie' amongst others. Interestingly heady and sometimes foggy headed days. 
Would that have been before or after Alex Munro had it, Mike?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 08:44:40 pm »
Would that have been before or after Alex Munro had it, Mike?

It would have been after Alex had it Dave. I remember Roy & Margo Watson running it in the mid 1970's. I was in school with their son Brendan.

Do you still have that newspaper cutting, announcing Alex taking over the London Dave? I seem to remember it was around 1961?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:35:49 pm by Trojan »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 09:45:05 pm »
1966, as I recall from the back of the this cutting (which I found in the Library). There's about 4 or 5 folders full of info about Llandudno's pubs but it's all 'out of bounds' for 4 months whilst they fiddle about with the place.  :huh1:

[smg id=3]

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 04:33:56 pm »
Could anyone tell me if the Winnie Micox spoke about in the London pub was Winnie Blakeway off the orme, She loved dancing.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »
One of my favourite Pubs is the Rhos Fynach at Rhos On Sea, always very welcoming and a good atmosphere. They have a roaring fire in the Winter months in their massive fireplace (which apparently hides a secret passage to the chapel on the seashore):

Rhos Fynach Pub by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Paddy

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:24 pm »
A nice place for lunch on a sunny day Dave. I've also heard that the "secret" passage leads to a house along the prom!