Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 200142 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #735 on: May 18, 2016, 07:35:25 pm »
So if you wanted to travel from Llandudno to Manchester Airport next Monday morning, would you

•   Catch the 7.45am train which goes direct, costs £17.50 and arrives at 10.20am, or

•   Catch the same 7.45am train stopping at the same station stops in North Wales but change at Chester and Crewe, costs £15 and arrives at 10.04am.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #736 on: May 18, 2016, 07:43:05 pm »
Definitely the first option. Direct trains are far better than navigating changes.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #737 on: May 19, 2016, 09:26:27 am »
Definitely the first option. Direct trains are far better than navigating changes.
I agree, it only takes one train running late for you to end up having a very bad day!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #738 on: May 19, 2016, 08:12:14 pm »
I agree, it only takes one train running late for you to end up having a very bad day!

Especially so if you have luggage to cart around with you between platforms.
It may take longer but you are guaranteed a seat and somewhere to put your luggage when boarding at Llandudno as the train is empty but when you change at intermediate stations you board a train in the middle of a journey which may be full and you end up sitting on your cases. For the sake of a couple of pounds and a few minutes I think it's a no brainer.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #739 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:19 pm »
I agree with SDQ but there are a couple of other points which have not been mentioned.  The ATW services from North Wales to Manchester spend around 50 minutes in a siding to the east of Piccadilly before returning.  It is surely more efficient for the rolling stock to be in revenue earning use by extending to the Airport. I am not sure that ATW have access rights to travel from the west to the Airport via Crewe.  Even if they did, it would be quite involved to negotiate clock-face paths across Crewe to gain the line to Manchester given the existing, conflicting movements at this busy junction - additional rolling stock would be needed to perform such a service, entailing reversal at Crewe in each direction, which would also interfere with the hourly Chester - Crewe ATW shuttle. 

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #740 on: May 20, 2016, 01:06:45 pm »
We solved the problem by telephoning Lyn-An Airport Services www.lyn-anminibuses.co.uk reasonable cost with first class service door to door 24hrs around the clock
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #741 on: September 27, 2016, 12:13:48 pm »
author=DaveR link=topic=1031.msg91800#msg91800 date=1463388947]
Great news!  $good$
The number of train services running from North Wales to Manchester Airport will triple from today.
An application from Arriva Trains Wales to extend their existing agreement has been approved by independent regulators, the Office of Rail and Road (ORR).

The move will see the number of direct trains from North Wales and Chester to Manchester Airport increase from 17 to 57 weekly.
Trains will start at Llandudno.

Arriva say the extension will bring “strong economic benefits,” as well as improved access to the airport for many North Wales residents.

Vale of Clwyd MP, Dr James Davies said: “This is a victory for common sense – Manchester Airport is by far the most important international airport serving North Wales and is easily reached by road but for most, travel by rail has been a non-starter. From Monday, rail will be a real option, with hourly direct services.
“This is good news for those seeking holidays abroad but I hope will also assist in boosting the North Wales economy.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/arriva-triple-number-trains-running-11335267
Llandudno/Manchester Airport train cancelled.............
A major shortage of train conductors has led to severe issues on Arriva Trains Wales services this morning.
The 11.44am service to Manchester Airport, which was due to start at Llandudno and call at Deganwy, Llandudno Junction, Colwyn Bay, Abergele, Rhyl, Prestatyn, Flint and Shotton, will now start from Chester.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/arriva-trains-wales-chaos-due-11937741
Disruption to any rail journey is inconvenient, but to an airport, the consequences are obvious, and Arriva's apparent thoughtless decision to cancel this train, is going to result in major trust issues, which makes a mockery of the increased service mentioned above, I for one, would no longer consider the airport train as an option.

From this mornings Daily Post................
"The National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers has slammed Arriva Trains Wales for a lack of “basic good management” after a major shortage of conductors caused chaos across North Wales today.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/union-arriva-trains-wales-delays-11942225

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #742 on: November 11, 2016, 02:06:32 pm »
Called into Llandudno Railway Station earlier (about 1pm). The concourse was locked up, the waiting room was locked up, the ticket office was locked up, the toilets were locked up. No members of staff anywhere to be seen. The self service ticket machine was out of order.

What was the point of spending all that money on refurbishment?  &shake&

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #743 on: November 11, 2016, 04:03:58 pm »
Public transport has been left to fester. (Not that Fester) I really don't know how people without a car manage, it's not cheap either. Also there is potential fines if you don't buy your ticket before you get on a train, how are you supposed to if the ticket office is closed?

Here's a local story that reeks of jobsworth

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/168234/llandudno-woman-pleads-guilty-to-not-having-train-ticket-for-first-class.aspx

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #744 on: November 11, 2016, 04:17:06 pm »
I called too.  I expect there was a staff sickness issue and no available relief.  If the office is closed, you do not face any penalty and can use railcard.

It has been said on the Forum before that the issue here is that the Welsh Government-awarded Franchise specified a closure of !500 hours. Hopefully that will change IF Welsh Government specify a later closure time in the new franchise.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #745 on: November 12, 2016, 09:46:55 am »
If a spare set of keys was left with their tenant, Alliance Taxis, then they could open up the waiting room and toilet facilities in an emergency.

They could even lock up the facilities at a much later time than at present on a daily basis.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #746 on: November 12, 2016, 12:49:05 pm »
Still closed today!

I think the Taxi people already control access to the "wet  room" alongside their office.  One difficulty in them looking after the rest  is that they have no visual of the area and stations unfortunately can be prone to misbehaviour and vandalism.

If ATW got a tenant for the unit accessed from the waiting area that would be a better solution.

Offline bigbadhenry

LLandudno's lost out again
« Reply #747 on: December 27, 2016, 02:36:17 pm »
Llandudno: The branch from Llandudno Junction
has been dropped from the current North Wales Line
re-signalling programme.  No chance of Winter Sunday trains then !!!!!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: LLandudno's lost out again
« Reply #748 on: December 27, 2016, 03:21:25 pm »
Llandudno: The branch from Llandudno Junction
has been dropped from the current North Wales Line
re-signalling programme.  No chance of Winter Sunday trains then !!!!!

How have you formed that opinion?
The two things are not linked in any way.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #749 on: December 28, 2016, 09:45:23 am »
If ATW got a tenant for the unit accessed from the waiting area that would be a better solution.
Has that unit ever even been advertised? I remember Big Murph (the Project Manager) showing me around that unit and it would need a lot of work to get it into any sort of usable state. Would be great for a small Station Buffet sort of thing.