Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 200148 times)

Offline Bigmurph

Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #450 on: September 04, 2013, 08:58:53 pm »
I am sure the coss will ask very nicely ,all the staff in the signal box have been very helpful during the works

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #451 on: September 05, 2013, 03:11:13 pm »
Taken from the Arriva Trains Wales website:

"Club 55 offer has finished for Autumn 2013"

Did it ever start for Autumn 2013?

First TransPennine Express will be doing a Club 55 starting on the 15 September 2013 but, apparently, not Arriva Trains Wales.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #452 on: September 30, 2013, 05:36:44 am »
30/09/13 - Llandudno Station Project

The £5.1m project to improve Llandudno Railway Station is progressing well and supporting North Wales' businesses.

Cllr Philip Evans is Conwy County Borough Council's Cabinet Member for public transport, he said, "I'm very pleased to see work progressing well on site and these long-standing plans becoming a reality."

"Having received regular updates from the project team, I'm delighted to report that the main contactors have awarded two contracts to Llandudno companies and a further four contracts to companies in North Wales.  In total, we estimate over 200 local people have worked on this project already, providing a boost to the area's economy of about £1.63m." 

"It is important that the partner organisations and contractors involved in this project have recognised that we have excellent businesses and skilled tradesmen in our region."   

Cllr Evans added: "Once the improvements have been completed the railway station will be a great asset to Llandudno, creating an excellent first impression of the town for visitors."

The scheme is being delivered by Network Rail on behalf of the Welsh Government and is part of the Department for Transport's National Stations Improvement Programme. The project has been supported by the European Regional Development Fund, through the Welsh Government.

Mark Langman, route managing director for Network Rail Wales/Cymru said: "We are making good progress at Llandudno station. This investment demonstrates our ability to deliver sustainable economic growth through a bigger, better railway. The rail industry's supply chain is both extended and varied, ranging from professional services to the construction industry and therefore investing in rail can help to drive growth across many of the Wales industrial sectors. By continuing to invest in the industry, we are also investing in the future of Wales."

£3.5m Welsh Government investment, including European Regional Development Fund structural funding; £1.5m from the Department for Transport's National Stations Improvement Programme and a further £150,000 from the Railway Heritage Trust.

The other partners and key supporters of the scheme are the local train operator, Arriva Trains Wales (ATW), the station leaseholder, and Conwy County Borough Council.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: October 06, 2013, 02:21:17 pm »
Found these photos I took of the Station from May 2005, thought they may be of interest:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: October 06, 2013, 02:31:45 pm »
Current work:

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #455 on: October 06, 2013, 07:52:52 pm »
   Your old photos ------ so THATS where I left my bike, when I went in Sarah J's cafe!!!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #456 on: October 07, 2013, 08:34:32 am »
Mmmm got to negotiate through that lot on Weds. a.m. Hope I can find the train !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #457 on: October 07, 2013, 11:11:08 am »
Mmmm got to negotiate through that lot on Weds. a.m. Hope I can find the train !

You wont have to try very hard Nem as they still only use 2 platforms and It's going to be a great improvement when it's finished.   $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #458 on: October 07, 2013, 06:39:14 pm »
Thanks Blongb-- it can't be as bad as my trek on the way back when I have to cover most of Piccadilly Station to pick up the Llandudno train. Mind you, at least it is undercover, as it always seems to be pouring when I get there. :(

Agreed, it should be much improved.

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #459 on: October 19, 2013, 09:32:15 pm »
Just a quick update to what will be happening at the station over the next few weeks,the internal fit out of the main station building is underway there will be some work which will be quite loud we have to clean the old paint off the steelwork and make repairs to the steelwork before painting. There will also be some night shifts being worked to put the new steelwork up for the extension to the existing canopy there shouldn't be to much noise during the night work but there will be a few floodlights up and some crane movements if it all goes well and the weather is kind to us it should take about 10 days .

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #460 on: October 20, 2013, 09:10:11 am »
The floodlights should help with the situation with getting from the train back to the outside area--- It was pitch black last week !

keep up the good work Bigmurph $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #461 on: October 20, 2013, 07:13:41 pm »
Just a quick update to what will be happening at the station over the next few weeks,the internal fit out of the main station building is underway there will be some work which will be quite loud we have to clean the old paint off the steelwork and make repairs to the steelwork before painting. There will also be some night shifts being worked to put the new steelwork up for the extension to the existing canopy there shouldn't be to much noise during the night work but there will be a few floodlights up and some crane movements if it all goes well and the weather is kind to us it should take about 10 days .
How far is the canopy being extended, Murph?

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2013, 07:55:45 pm »
Dave the canopy is being extended by about 20ft in length also the canopy will be extended down on the ticket office side, nemesis it is dark around the station we had to remove the existing external lights our floodlights will not help the situation very much because we can't switch them on until the last train has left the station.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #463 on: October 20, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »
Dave the canopy is being extended by about 20ft in length also the canopy will be extended down on the ticket office side, nemesis it is dark around the station we had to remove the existing external lights our floodlights will not help the situation very much because we can't switch them on until the last train has left the station.
Cheers for keeping us all updated, mate.   $good$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #464 on: October 20, 2013, 09:11:48 pm »
   So the floodlights cannot be turned on until last train has left the station.

Why not?   Drivers frightened of being blinded whilst they drive away?  If so, this sounds ridiculous. It would only be for a matter of yards. If its that bad, get someone as a lookout to walk ahead guiding the train for the first fifty yards if necessary. Which I doubt.

I might add that I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for modern diesel train drivers and the coconed lives they live in their cabs at a very substantial wage.

Basically,  very basically,  all they have to do is move their train forward at the correct speed, look out for signals and stop when necessary.

Try being a coach driver. Dodging cars, lorries, pedestrians, floods, road works , winds, tides, passengers assulting you etc etc etc. On a very UNsubstantial wage.   And pointing the coach in the correct direction