Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 201445 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #420 on: February 21, 2013, 04:27:10 pm »
Sold down the river comes to mind,the town was promised 120 spaces,then when building work starts its down to 50 and nobody says a word.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #421 on: February 21, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »
We just happened to walk past the Town Hall earlier and, by chance, noticed a sign on the front door promoting an exhibition inside for the Llandudno Railway Station Improvements.

We asked a few questions to a representative from Network Rail who was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Bob Barnsdale's history display of the station and tracks was also very good.

Did anybody see this event advertised anywhere because I obviously missed it, if it was?

Offline Jack

« Reply #422 on: February 21, 2013, 04:56:36 pm »
Bri, yes it was featured in last weeks Pioneer but had the wrong date in the article!

Offline Ian48

« Reply #423 on: February 21, 2013, 04:56:58 pm »
What was the design of the buildings like? I had hard it was on, but didn't go and see it.

I think as regards the number of spaces, if it has to be so and be done in two stages then so be it. I would rather fewer spaces now and a proper initial job on the buildings than for loads of spaces and to skimp on the buildings. Sometimes there just isn't the money or circumstances to do things in one go and we ought to be pleased that it's finally happening at long last, especially in the current economic climate. 'Sold down the river' is rather a strong term to use. I certainly don't feel betrayed or cheated by having fewer car parking spaces in the initial development.

If there is a need, and (probably more importantly) money to be made from parking charges, then I am sure that they will come in time.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2013, 05:21:09 pm »
The answer we got over parking charges was that it will be free parking.

I asked about the future use of the existing road between platforms 2 and 3 as a result of the entry from the front of the station being screened off.

The answer I received was that it will still be used as a service road for the heritage steam trains when they come to Llandudno.

To be fair, I was impressed with that piece of forward planning although I would not be surprised if the original idea came from a certain local councillor.  ;)

If you want an idea of the finished product, I suggest you go down to the railway station as there are artist's impressions there.

Offline Jack

« Reply #425 on: February 21, 2013, 06:27:04 pm »
Bit strange because when I asked about parking I was told that the infrastructure would be put in for pay and display machines and that the final decision would be town to the operator, Arriva Trains, but the general thought was that it wouldn't be free!

One other thing that caught my eye was that because there are tenants yet for the cafe and retail space they will just be built as a shell and then boarded up until the time comes that they are let.  Lets hope that doesn't take too long.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #426 on: February 21, 2013, 09:10:41 pm »
Jack, it is obvious that neither of us spoke to the same gentleman.  &shake&

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2013, 05:57:30 pm »
Very poos situation,no full car park and the place will be boarded up.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #428 on: March 27, 2013, 10:20:34 am »
Just got stuck behind a dumper truck full of to be heading towards Arch motors,i wonder who is getting that cash.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: March 27, 2013, 11:53:08 am »
Good centre-page spread in the Daily Post today with a pic of the Bodafon Hill Tram.  It ties in with the 50 year anniversary of the Beeching report, which effectively emasculated the Railway network in favour of roads, something which the Tory transport minister of the time - Ernest Marples - saw as a fantastic opportunity, as he owned the largest road haulage business in the UK...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #430 on: March 30, 2013, 01:51:04 pm »
Current progress:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #431 on: April 26, 2013, 12:04:53 pm »
looking nice already.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: May 04, 2013, 07:26:51 pm »
Current progress:

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #433 on: May 05, 2013, 10:16:34 pm »
Great photos dave any chance if u could take some on Monday night just 2 see if gypsy haven't nicked all our gear cheers   Might be the wrong place how many bricks went into the new wall at the station there's a nice prize for the winner u can clean up after the weekend on site

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #434 on: July 12, 2013, 06:53:21 pm »
Current progress at Llandudno Station. The main entrance to the station has now been closed off for work on the canopy and there are temporary portakabins for ticket offices and toilets at the side.