Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 201266 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #405 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:16 pm »
With two specials advertising coming to the Extravaganza both on the Saturday makes me think there is now going to be a problem then.I hope they don;t go t..s up.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #406 on: February 01, 2013, 10:38:02 pm »
What will become with the redundant road between platforms 2 and 3 after the station refurbishment?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #407 on: February 01, 2013, 11:29:54 pm »
What will become with the redundant road between platforms 2 and 3 after the station refurbishment?

As there will be no vehicular access I expect it will be paved/landscaped hopefully with benches etc...
Valar Morghulis

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #408 on: February 02, 2013, 11:06:29 am »
OOOOOH just got really excited they've knocked down the wall next to the cafe. Crikey, don't hold your breathe.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: February 05, 2013, 02:21:03 pm »
Computer generated image of new glass frontage:

Offline Ian48

« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2013, 02:39:22 pm »
That's been around for a bit that image hasn't it? I do think that someone should tell them that the present sign (and the one here, probably copied from it) is wrong.

It should be 'Croeso i Orsaf Llandudno' - surely after the preposition 'i' there is always a soft mutation, which here would mean the omission of the 'g'. It's gramatically incorrect I think.

Just like welcome to Llandudno would be 'croeso i Landudno' (yes, in this instance all those tourists with bad pronunciation we laugh at are correct!) and welcome to Bangor would be 'croeso i Fangor'.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2013, 05:35:37 pm »
Spot on Ian48.  If you're going to do something like that do it correctly.      $walesflag$

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:26 pm »
I  think 'Croseo i'r Orsaf Llandudno' might be even closer.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #413 on: February 06, 2013, 09:25:04 am »
Mott MacDonald appointed lead design engineer for £5.1 million Llandudno Station renovation, Wales
30 Jan, 2013 17:17 CET

Mott MacDonald has been appointed by Buckingham Group Contracting Limited as lead design engineer for the renovation of Llandudno railway station in north Wales. The £5.1 million scheme is being delivered by Network Rail on behalf of the Welsh Government and is part of the Department for Transport's National Stations Improvement Programme. The project has been supported by the European Regional Development Fund, through the Welsh Government.

The project will redevelop the station’s existing buildings and concourse areas, creating new ticketing and customer facilities. The existing roof canopy will be extended, while a new glazed booking hall structure and waiting area will link to the station’s existing main entrance. New seats, entrances and lighting will be installed and existing doors refurbished. Additionally, a new car park for up to 50 cars will be constructed as well as drop-off points and a bus lay-by with two bus stops at the front of the station. Additional bicycle storage facilities will also be provided.

Ken Norbury, Mott MacDonald’s project director, said: “Retention of the station’s historical features and heritage is an important part of the scheme. To assist with this, materials from demolished sections of the station roof canopy will be reused in the remodelled roof extension to retain all the roof features. Additionally, all designs are being developed to meet Network Rail’s aspirations for achieving a ‘Very Good’ BREEAM sustainability rating.”

Designs are due to be finished in spring 2013, with construction expected to be completed a year later.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: February 12, 2013, 06:53:48 pm »
Latest photos:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2013, 06:54:51 am »
As reported in the press and by our very own DaveR, when did they cut the car parking from 120 to 50 spaces,is it a mistake or is it another cost cutting exercise.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:08 am »
That's a good point, Wrex, enquiries must be made!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #417 on: February 17, 2013, 08:43:57 am »
You must be off with that camera of yours being up so early.Just been watching the Beeching railway story on a recording,i can;t wait to see the steam engine in Llandudno in May,sad or wot.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #418 on: February 17, 2013, 09:07:45 am »
Yes, off down to Blaenau to nose round a slate mine.

Will be good to see the Steam Engine back in Llandudno again. I seem to miss it every year, will make an effort there this May.

Offline Jack

« Reply #419 on: February 21, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »
Went to the exhibition today at the Town Hall showing the plans for the new Railway Station, I asked about parking spaces and apparently in the first instance there will be 50 available and there is a capacity for 120 car parking spaces if Arriva Trains Wales feel the need to make them available. 
Arriva Trains Wales weren't at the Town Hall just Network Rail and the designer from Buckingham group that are going to do the building work and so they couldn't answer specific questions.