Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 201744 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #375 on: October 24, 2012, 11:16:18 am »
Im so glad to be the be the first to announce the station project has started,contractors have pulled on site this morning,thank god.
HAAAAAAAALLELUJAH!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2012, 11:26:00 am »
Did not see the NWWN;S reporters down there though

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #377 on: October 24, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »
Did not see the NWWN;S reporters down there though

Did you see the model helicopter they were using to get aerial pictures?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2012, 12:54:52 pm »
That's really good news!  Let's hope the work goes smoothly. 

Offline Jack

« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2012, 01:04:27 pm »
Im so glad to be the be the first to announce the station project has started,contractors have pulled on site this morning,thank god.

That's great news, today's Pioneer is reporting an announcement about the development this week so it looks like that is now old news!

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #380 on: October 24, 2012, 01:23:46 pm »
Great news about the station. Hope all goes well with the project and makes it an attractive place for people to arrive at the seaside.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #381 on: October 24, 2012, 04:25:07 pm »
Went past again this afternoon and all is back as it was,i hope i was;nt seeing things.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #382 on: October 24, 2012, 05:47:48 pm »
Went past again this afternoon and all is back as it was,i hope i was;nt seeing things.

Rome wasn't built in a day!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Jack

« Reply #383 on: October 24, 2012, 06:14:24 pm »
There were police bollards on the 'parking area' outside Sarah J (Mollys) Cafe tonight!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2012, 07:17:57 am »
Announced on BBC Wales that the station starts this week.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2012, 09:12:33 am »
Announced on BBC Wales that the station starts this week.

It's going to be "Full steam ahead" then???   ;D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2012, 09:28:12 am »
How many pints had you had?  Z**  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2012, 12:02:17 pm »
I was at the Station yesterday.

There were lots of guys with white hard-hats, clearing rubble in wheel barrows.
So, ...... something is going on!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2012, 01:11:16 pm »
Detailed design work is starting on a £5m scheme to refurbish Llandudno railway station.

Revamp work includes a new frontage, a ticket office, improved bus facilities and customer information systems.

Construction work was due to have started in the summer, but is now expected to get underway early in the new year.

The scheme, which also includes toilets and a new 50-space car park, is set to be completed in early 2014.

The upgrade of Llandudno station is the first in a number of station improvements that the Welsh government is supporting”Carl Sargeant AM Transport Minister

Llandudno station was built in 1892, but is run down and partly derelict. Its Victorian ironwork is rusting and its platforms are stripped of shelter.

Transport Minister Carl Sargeant said the upgrade was the first in a number of station improvements the Welsh government was supporting.

Officials said outline design work had been completed and detailed design work was starting.

Mr Sargeant said: "The upgrade of Llandudno station is the first in a number of station improvements that the Welsh government is supporting as we strive to make rail travel more comfortable and attractive to the public."

"In addition to providing a positive first impression for visitors to Llandudno this project will also provide a boost to the local economy as local employment will be used in the refurbishment of the station."

The station was built in 1858, and is used by about 270,000 passengers each year.

The new station frontage will be in keeping with its Victorian architecture.

Network Rail will manage the refurbishment on behalf of the Welsh government.

'Proud' Mark Langman, Network Rail's Wales route managing director, said: "I am delighted that the funding package has been secured for this very important project to enhance Llandudno station.

The new station frontage will be in keeping with its Victorian architecture
"The project will regenerate and revitalise this area of the town, encouraging locals and visitors to use public transport through the provision of updated and enhanced facilities.

"We are looking forward to completing the project in 2014 and to handing over to Arriva Trains Wales and the local community a station of which they can be proud."

The Welsh government and European Regional Development Fund has given the project £3.5m.

The Department for Transport's national stations improvement programme has awarded the scheme £1.5m and a £150,000 has come from the Railway Heritage Trust.

The Welsh government said Mr Sargeant would be announcing other station improvements around Wales shortly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-20142945

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2012, 05:32:31 pm »
Looking at that picture they have cut back dramatically from the original designs I saw a couple of years ago. The glass frontage was much bigger & more in keeping with the present design but they have taken the top part away obviously for financial reasons.
Valar Morghulis