Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 201530 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2012, 11:14:45 pm »
Every time I here a new 'proposed' date for this project... or some movement on the Pier Pavilion site, my BS-ometer goes into overdrive.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2012, 11:21:28 pm »
 _))* very good and very useful too!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:35 pm »
Thanks M.E.... I fear that it will be making regular appearances on numerous topics!
Particularly where politicians are involved.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2012, 08:48:49 pm »
Went to York at the weekend and went into the railway museum,excellent place but i was pig sick to see they have a turntable inside the main hall just for show,its about time Llandudno demanded a turntable of its own.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2012, 09:12:59 pm »
we did have a turntable when we had a real station

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »
Norman i used to go newting in it,iremember it well,but there is no reason why we can;t have a new one with a bit of willpower,just not the council,althought cll P Evans would put all his effort into this one.

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:23 pm »
yes the turntable and water tower where at the rear of Alex road,but as a child i was amazed at how two men could turn around one of those great big black engines,i even saw a man turn one on his own one day,mind you it was a struggle

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2012, 10:44:02 pm »
Most turntables have gone since the demise of steam, diesels don't need them, a pity as they would be handy for the visiting steam locomotives, but who would pay to install them?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2012, 07:29:57 am »
Europe,CCBC,Welsh assembly

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2012, 09:30:15 am »
Just seen in latest issue of Rail 702  page19.
ATW are making changes to North Wales train services from September 17.
Final para.......Other changes to North Wales services are planned to accommodate the main change, including the withdrawl of a number of sevices each way between Llandudno and  Llandudno Junction.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: August 16, 2012, 09:37:54 am »
MPs will hold FirstWestern to its promises for North Wales
by Our Correspondent, DPW WestAug 16 2012

THE new operators of the West Coast main line will be judged on their ability to improve services to Holyhead, MPs warned yesterday.

They were speaking after the Government decided to take the franchise away from Virgin after 15 years.

Virgin boss Sir Richard Branson said it was “insane” to award the contract to rivals FirstGroup, which has a chequered record, especially over the Great Western mainline from London to South Wales.

FirstGroup promised improvements including: “Doubling frequency of London to Preston services and adding capacity to Chester and North Wales.”

Chief Executive Tim O’Toole pledged reduced journey times, new direct services, improved train interiors, better catering, station upgrades and a smart ticketing system.

The bid includes cutting 15 minutes from trains between London and Glasgow, new direct services from the capital to Blackpool, Telford, Shrewsbury and Bolton and 40,000 extra seats by 2016.

Mr O’Toole said: “We look forward to bringing an exciting mix of innovation, and customer and service improvements to InterCity West Coast and creating a better railway for all.”

Vale of Clwyd Labour MP Chris Ruane said: “I have invited Tim O’Toole to meet the North Wales group of Labour MPs to see what his franchise can do for the North Wales line.

“I hope they can deliver, and we intend to hold them to their promises, judging them on their track record.

“They say they will add capacity, and we will be seeking clarification as will that mean more frequent services, as we would prefer, or longer trains?

“That must mean services to North Wales, not just Chester which is not too badly served, but through to Holyhead.”

Arfon MP Hywel Williams welcomed the commitment to improving services to North Wales, which he felt must include more direct journeys from Holyhead and Bangor to London and Manchester Airport.

The Plaid Cymru MP said: “We will be doing what we can to make sure that pledges are honoured.

“After all, when railway improvement announcements were made last month, North Wales was ignored – despite the North Wales line being a vital international route between the Republic of Ireland, London and the continent.

“Electrification of the North Wales line would cost as little as £300m, which is tiny in the context of billions of pounds of improvements in England announced by the Treasury.”

Plaid’s North Wales AM Llyr Gruffydd demanded guarantees from Rail Minister Theresa Villiers staffing and less profitable lines would not be cut, as that would hit the North Wales economy.

FirstGroup will take over the franchise on December 9 and is due to operate the service until 2026.

Offline mull

« Reply #326 on: August 16, 2012, 09:48:44 am »
If the First Great western experience is anything to go by the extra seats will be achieved by fitting 10+ more seats in each coach.
Hard lines if you have long legs and want to take a suitcase with you.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #327 on: August 16, 2012, 09:56:19 am »
Final para.......Other changes to North Wales services are planned to accommodate the main change, including the withdrawal of a number of services each way between Llandudno and Llandudno Junction.

Perhaps, with this news about the shuttle service is linked to what Cambrian informed us last month.

Some better news is that Arriva are restoring a Cardiff - Llandudno  and Llandudno - Cardiff service after a gap of at least 40 years. They are also running in a direct service from Birmingham International and one from Manchester Airport. The change will take place sometime in September.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2012, 10:05:43 am »
Final para.......Other changes to North Wales services are planned to accommodate the main change, including the withdrawl of a number of sevices each way between Llandudno and  Llandudno Junction.

I wouldn't read too much into that. For a number of years the Manchester trains used to come into Llandudno and sit for quite a long time waiting to leave for their return journey, then someone realised that if these trains ran a shuttle service to Junction & back in that time any revenue earned would be a bonus as the crew are being paid regardless and the small amount of extra fuel would soon be covered by the paying passengers. Arriva had similar ideas when I worked for their bus division, they hated any standing time & wanted the wheels constantly moving! In theory the idea was basically sound but in practice it allows very little room to make up lost time with these shuttles regularly chasing their tail trying to get back on time for the departure of the Manchester service. In some cases the Manchester service arrives so late the shuttle service doesn't run at all.

With regard to the changes in September, I've already mentioned in a previous post that some of the Manchester trains will be going to Bangor/Holyhead instead of Llandudno so it stands to reason that if these trains don't run they can't operate the Junction shuttle service, these will be the withdrawn services stated by ATW.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2012, 10:35:07 am »
Perhaps things may not be quite as bleak as suggested.  My understanding is the 0845 Manchester is replaced by an 0830 Cardiff.
The 0908 Junction will not run neither will the 1344 Manchester.  The rest may well be much as it is.  What is sometimes forgetten is the Blaenau service which leaves almost in the wake of the shuttle three times - one of which will replace the the 1308 shuttle. What could be more of a real problem is potential disruption to Llandudno connections to/from Bangor.

SDQ's point about operators not wanting crews and assets standing idle is quite correct.

What is not clear is why these changes seem to be brought in with almost indecent haste given that changes were already planned for December in the normal course of events.