Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 200061 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2012, 05:33:05 pm »
Quiggs recently suggested that all the delays might be a tactic to put forward the idea of closing the junction to Llandudno line completely.
Well this is far from being a new idea. Go back to 1959. The new b ridge was opened in Conwy. No more traffic jams. Wrong. Come the summer and the start of the jams had just moved a quarter of a mile east from the Telford bridge to the junction level crossing. The delays were almost as bad as before the new bridge was built.
It was at that time that closing the line was first considered.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2012, 06:27:03 pm »
That's interesting.  Was it seriously considered by the Council or the railway ?  I only ask because I can remember literally dozens of trains coming through to Llandudno particularly on Saturdays in the early 1960s.  All the holidaymakers and their luggage would have had to detrain into coaches and vans at the junction (and the same on the way back) adding to road congestion and it would be back to square 1.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 06:29:02 pm »
local council elections will come up in May, so local councillors will be making themselves known to get your vote

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2012, 08:00:08 am »
Good time to ask each one what they intend to do about the station, perhaps?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »
it is a very good time and why not get them to put their replies on here!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2012, 01:20:55 am »
What is the point??

Guto Bebb, Janet Finch Saunders, and Uncle Tom Cobley... they will all regale you with the ''fact'' that THEIR new station will feature dancing fountains, polished marble platforms and 50 foot high solid gold statues of Alex Munro.... and we will all go OOOHH I'll vote for them,   then within 20 minutes of the election they will be nowhere to be seen.

Politicians make me sick,   :puke2: :puke2:   Its a fantastic way to avoid getting a proper job.
Woe betide any of them that choose to knock on my door!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:17 am »
they will all regale you with the ''fact'' that THEIR new station will feature dancing fountains, polished marble platforms and 50 foot high solid gold statues of Alex Munro

I doubt they'd give any firm commitments at all, since politicians of all parties are becoming increasingly wary about having their promises come back to haunt them in the instant communication era. But that could be as valuable: at least we'd know who was blathering and who genuinely wanted to do something.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2012, 08:56:00 am »
they will all regale you with the ''fact'' that THEIR new station will feature dancing fountains, polished marble platforms and 50 foot high solid gold statues of Alex Munro

I doubt they'd give any firm commitments at all, since politicians of all parties are becoming increasingly wary about having their promises come back to haunt them in the instant communication era.

They will give you a firm commitment on the Station Development just in time to coincide with the announcement that train services to Llandudno are to be discontinued!     _))*    _))*    _))*

Just as a matter of interest is the old station yard still owned by Northern Markets?   ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2012, 09:16:33 am »
The fact is that politicians at local level have no power, all they do is rubber stamp decisions taken by council officers and WG.

Perhaps, at elections,  the electorate should be presented instead with a list of potential schemes and vote for which ones they wish to go ahead.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2012, 09:27:43 am »
Perhaps, at elections,  the electorate should be presented instead with a list of potential schemes and vote for which ones they wish to go ahead.

We could also adopt the US system, whereby in some states voters can hold a binding referendum on policy decisions taken by councillors.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »
According to the front page of today’s Daily Post, the booking office at Llandudno Railway Station is threatened with closure.

I wonder if Arriva Trains Wales is running out of money after refurbishing all those booking offices in South Wales !!

20 February 2012

ATW are currently carrying out a scheme of booking office refurbishments all across Wales.

Work will be carried out at the following locations on the below dates;

Runcorn East – 27th February 2012 to 5th March 2012 inclusive
Wrexham General – 28th February 2012 to 7th March 2012 inclusive
Leominster – 12th March 2012 to 23rd March 2012 inclusive
Machynlleth – 22nd February 2012 (re-opening on 23rd February 2012)
Bangor – 23rd February 2012 (re-opening on 24th February 2012)

A number of stations have already received the improvements and now enjoy much improved access for passengers using wheelchairs. These stations include; Barry, Cadoxton, Penarth, Neath, Llanelli, Haverfordwest, Merthyr Tydfil, Aberdare, Pengam, Ystrad Mynach, Aber, Porth, Radyr, Abergavenny, Holyhead.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »
I thought they promised the future of Llandudno's booking
office was safe when this subject was raised when the
plans were passed for the station refurbishment.
Valar Morghulis

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »
This little saga goes on and on and on,i have asked Mike Williams (JFS) to look into why CCBCis holding up prceedings now they have had the 3.5 million from the assembly,it not as if they have;nt had long enought.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »
Transport in Wales is a devolved matter, why the Daily Post keeps quoting a report drawn up by the UK Government, I don't know?

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2012, 11:39:49 am »
Well as I've said before on this site it only seems to be open from 8 a.m. to 3.00p.m.

I was interested in yesterdays NWWN to see that the new station seems to now have money but disturbed to see that it looks like the Victorian stuff will be kept and re-furbished.  I can be very naive at times as I thought we were going to get a brand spanking new , MODERN station!  Ho hum. :(