Author Topic: Llandudno railway station  (Read 201612 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #705 on: October 28, 2014, 01:04:06 pm »
Surely the hovercraft will travel up the Slipway by the Cenotaph onto the Prom, in order to allow passengers to board etc?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Llandudno Hovercraft station
« Reply #706 on: October 30, 2014, 03:09:30 pm »
I cannot see Health & Safety allowing the promenade by the pier to be used as a station for the new hovercraft service especially during July and August.

I believe the RNLI will still need to use the slipway during 2015.

I suppose they can always use the new slipway at the Sailing Club now that all the shingle has been cleared away.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno Hovercraft station
« Reply #707 on: October 30, 2014, 06:09:12 pm »
I cannot see Health & Safety allowing the promenade by the pier to be used as a station for the new hovercraft service especially during July and August.
I suppose they can always use the new slipway at the Sailing Club now that all the shingle has been cleared away.

Think we will need a new thread.....?

When you first mentioned "where do we take our suitcases to board" it made me think,... where ? .
Modern hovercraft are a lot bigger and more powerful than the original ones used in the 60s, and our beach is not like Rhyl's,... If Hoverlink make a success of the Wirral/Rhyl run, and look at Llandudno as a link, I think it will need it's own slipway/ terminal and safety zone.

https://bdaily.co.uk/entrepreneurship/06-06-2014/hovercraft-firms-keen-to-link-north-west-and-north-wales/

http://www.griffonhoverwork.com/products-services/hovercraft-range/8000td.aspx

http://www.griffonhoverwork.com/products-services/hovercraft-range/bht-passenger-configuration.aspx

Offline Hugo

« Reply #708 on: April 16, 2015, 04:11:03 pm »
I was disappointed when CCBC didn't use their initiative to develop the whole of the Station area including the old Railway yard but must admit that the work that has been done is an improvement on the old Railway Station.
I walked past there today and it did look better and that car park at the side looked neat and I was surprised that the car park wasn't busier.  They charge £2.00 for all day Mon to Fri and £1.00 all day at the weekend which seems very fair compared to other car park charges.

As for the old Railway yard and the car wash place they are still a disgrace and CCBC should have this site on their radar.   Will anything get done?     Not likely as Mostyn Estates owns the car wash site and can get away with anything.  I also passed the old Llandudno Y C on my way and that is a mess that is  too but will anything get done, no chance because it belongs to Mostyn Estates too.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #709 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:36 pm »
Mostyn estates owns the first 10 feet then all the car wash and sidings belong to a market firm in Manchester,Northern markets.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #710 on: April 16, 2015, 06:42:43 pm »
Are you sure Wrex because when I was a schoolboy the first 10 feet was grass just before the billbords?     So how come that the 10 feet is now enclosed in the car wash business or was that a new Enclosure Act by Mostyn Estates ?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #711 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:15 pm »
If you go inside you will see a yellow line,just look where the nice fence ends.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #712 on: June 09, 2015, 12:29:43 pm »
The opening hours of the Waiting Room & Ticket Office are being extended for the Summer:

An Arriva Trains Wales spokesman said: “Following the completion of the improvements work at Llandudno station, the opening hours remained as they were before the work began: 2.30pm on weekdays and 3.10pm on Saturdays.

“However, these hours will be extended in July and August when the station facilities will be open until 6pm Monday to Saturday and 5pm on Sundays.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/52m-revamped-llandudno-railway-station-9382734

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #713 on: June 09, 2015, 02:37:34 pm »
Excuse me for being logical but wouldn't a waiting room do better for being open longer in the winter when it's freezing cold  8)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #714 on: June 09, 2015, 03:08:41 pm »
Excuse me for being logical but wouldn't a waiting room do better for being open longer in the winter when it's freezing cold  8)

True.....but these facilities (waiting rooms) are not treated with respect when left unattended, a sad truth. :(

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #715 on: June 09, 2015, 06:07:27 pm »

True.....but these facilities (waiting rooms) are not treated with respect when left unattended, a sad truth. :(

Then the station should be manned to cover the hours that trains run. 05.30 - 22.00hrs!
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

« Reply #716 on: July 08, 2015, 06:01:08 pm »
Government says it is working with transport chiefs in Liverpool to try to ensure proper connectivity with North Wales is achieved
Plans for improved rail links between North Wales and Liverpool are being pressed ahead with.

Assembly member for the region Aled Roberts said he had had commitments from the Welsh government that it would continue to work with Merseytravel - the Merseyside transport authority - to secure improvements to the 'Halton Curve' link.

The Halton Curve is 1.5 miles long and links the North Wales Coast Line to the Liverpool branch of the West Coast Main Line.
Regular passenger services over the line ceased in May, 1975, but transport authority Merseytravel is seeking to re-open the link .
But recent Conservative government delays and cutbacks to transport infrastructure improvements, and a Merseytravel-commissioned report that said additional services to Liverpool should begin no further than Chester, created doubt about the plans.
More....http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wrexham-liverpool-direct-train-link-9616869

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #717 on: July 08, 2015, 06:04:41 pm »
Also of interest is a snippet tucked away in Edwina Hart's statement last week.  Her officials are talking to Transpennine about running into North Wales.  Could we see Llandudno-Leeds-York services back.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #718 on: July 08, 2015, 06:48:50 pm »
The Halton Curve link has been talked about for the past 25 years, and nothing has happened. The £10.4m cost is so little I had to read it twice. It's absurd that people can't get directly between Liverpool and Llandudno in a single train trip.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #719 on: July 08, 2015, 07:59:11 pm »
Also of interest is a snippet tucked away in Edwina Hart's statement last week.  Her officials are talking to Transpennine about running into North Wales.  Could we see Llandudno-Leeds-York services back.
That would be a great move. As such, it will probably never happen!