Author Topic: Alf Davies - Rhos-on-Sea  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Yorkie

Alf Davies - Rhos-on-Sea
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:11:41 pm »
In the Quiz Section some time ago I asked a question about Riding Stables in Rhos-on-Sea;
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32.1450.html

It was sad to see in Today's NWWN that Alf Davies who ran the Stables has passed away at the grand old age of 91.  There is a nice article on page 9 of the paper which details much of the good work that he did from Jubilee Stables and his association with Gloddaeth Hall School and the former Lowther College in Bodelwydden.

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
Re: Alf Davies - Rhos-on-Sea
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 04:40:18 pm »
RIP Alf Davies

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 07:10:52 pm »
I have just been reminded that Alf Davies taught me to ride and that my early teens were spent mostly down at the Jubilee Stables and helping with the ponies on the beach together with a few other pony mad teenagers!  We used to lead the ponies up and down the beach (I think it was 6d a ride!) in order to get a free ride taking the ponies to the field at the end of the day!!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »
  I imagine these stables were down the very narrow entry just past the last shop on the left going up Rhos Road. This entry used to bend around to the left and exited into Everard Road to the left of the Fruit and Veg shop.
  If this is correct, I knew Alf Davies because that entry and the one I used every day, through a tunnel just up Everard Road on the right, backed on to each other.
  When I just saw this sad thread a minute or two ago, I thought "Alf Davies. No that cannot be him----he was an old man when I knew him."  He must have died many, many years ago.
 But----- I suppose when you are about ten years old, a twenty one year old is an "old man."

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »
Delete this post please.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero