Author Topic: Crime and criminals  (Read 241860 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Crime and criminals
« Reply #495 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:24 pm »
What on Earth is this country becoming when police are patrolling our streets looking like mobile scrap dealers.  This is Luton!   >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #496 on: May 17, 2013, 08:57:22 am »
I presume there's not much chasing of fleeing suspects there, then?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #497 on: May 17, 2013, 06:24:42 pm »
   I remember reading about a judge acting in a court reprimanded a copper for appearing as a witness in his court dressed in this fashion. When spoken to by the judge he replied that it was his normal style of working dress.
  In fairness to the Judge he said something to the effect "not in this court it isn't"
"

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:54 pm »
Mark Bridger found guilty of murdering 5 year old April Jones.
A man who spent his life drinking 20+ cans of lager a day whilst living on benefits. That's what's wrong with this country.  &shake&

Offline Jack

« Reply #499 on: May 30, 2013, 01:36:55 pm »
The cost of his benefits will pale into insignificance compared to the cost of keeping this scumbag alive and in five star luxury in gaol for the rest of his days.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #500 on: May 30, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »
Bring back the DEATH PENALTY.  The chances nowadays of an innocent person being executed is next to impossible, unlike some years ago when it was abolished.  Modern forensics and DNA testing give a "proof positive" situation.  No need for appeals and retrials or costly encarceration, and above all, A POSITIVE DETTERENT to those contemplating committing criminal acts. 

Let the debate commence!
  ;D
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #501 on: May 30, 2013, 02:29:22 pm »
Trouble is it does not deter them!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #502 on: May 30, 2013, 05:39:40 pm »
Trouble is it does not deter them!

The death Penalty was repealed in 1965, 50 years ago, and since then crime and terrorrism has changed dramatically.  I am sure that many of the gun toting youngsters would think twice about going out armed if they realised they were flirting with their lives.  Prison nowadays is like living in a holiday camp for 25 years, as recently exposed on TV.

I think the families of those whose lives are terminated prematurely, would like to see an eye for an eye, and the ultimate penalty reinstated.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #503 on: May 30, 2013, 06:03:12 pm »
I doubt that it would deter suicide bombers or the two who murdered Lee Rigby then waited for the Police. I'm not saying these lunatics deserve to live, but how to you deter a madman who is not thinking logically?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #504 on: May 30, 2013, 06:23:54 pm »
I think we are all intelligent enough to know that one can never achieve 100% success, and all we can do is use the best endeavours available to minimise the possibilities of future incidents. 
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #505 on: May 30, 2013, 06:26:03 pm »
Where is this "We" coming in from? I don't want to have any part of your state murder thank you. Luckily neither does the state which is a good thing all round.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #506 on: May 30, 2013, 07:56:55 pm »
Where is this "We" coming in from? I don't want to have any part of your state murder thank you. Luckily neither does the state which is a good thing all round.

We is a common term to use in the language when making general remarks.  Those that want can agree, those that don't, can always put up a counter argument, it's up to them.  I respect your view.

So you are quite happy for idiots to continue burning down houses with people in them, murdering young children, shooting soldiers and Police, killing old folk for no reason, bombing public areas and committing homicide without concern?   

State murder?   Justifiable homicide I would call it.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #507 on: May 30, 2013, 08:31:27 pm »
I don't want to see atrocities at all - but I certainly don't want to add to man's inhumanity by allowing poor people who can't afford good lawyers and those afflicted with mental illness to die at our own hands. 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: May 30, 2013, 09:12:38 pm »
The entire basis of the justice system is to remove revenge from the equation. Because revenge is unfettered by concerns such as evidence, fact and motive.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #509 on: May 30, 2013, 09:29:56 pm »
I would like to believe that everyone brought to the Courts in this Country, gets a fair trial, and I would not have it any other way.  I am in agreement with Ian that there is no place for revenge to become involved in our Justice system.  In this respect I am also in favour of important trials being handled by a "bench" of Judges rather than the jury system.   But that's another subject for debate!
 >>>
Cicero