Author Topic: Crime and criminals  (Read 244751 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Crime and criminals
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2011, 10:17:45 am »
When reading this article, I'm not sure who is the worst scum... the asylum seeker, or the idiotic judge in this case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15596588
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2011, 11:04:07 am »
I read that article yesterday and couldn't believe  how stupid a nation we have become.  What was wrong in just putting him back on the boat he came from or flying him back to that country?
 :rage: :rage:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2011, 12:35:38 pm »
I'm also sick of seeing these anti capitalist protesters outside St Paul's, what a bunch of pot smoking idiots, they should have moved them away weeks ago!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2011, 02:52:19 pm »
I'm also sick of seeing these anti capitalist protesters outside St Paul's, what a bunch of pot smoking idiots, they should have moved them away weeks ago!

I find them hilarious, watching them demonstrating against capitalism, then taking turns to queue for Starbucks Coffee and KFC takeaways whilst using Smartphones and ipods .
Did you also know that they aren't actually keeping a vigil? Most of them abandon the tents in the evening (most likely get Mummy to pick them up in the 4X4 Range Rover) sleep in their cosy beds ...then they come back to the site the next day.
Too much hardship involved in genuinely protesting these days.    Hilarious.
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2011, 04:19:27 pm »
Anyone for a camping protest at Bodlondeb?     $walesflag$ 
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2011, 08:17:44 am »
These people must qualify for the title of 'dumbest criminals of the week'...

Two sisters have gone on trial accused of trying to claim back £161m in VAT which they had never paid.

Andrea and Roberta Vaughan-Owen, of Colwyn Bay, also allegedly claimed tens of thousands of pounds in benefits to which they were not entitled.

Both are alleged to have claimed incapacity benefits and working tax credits at the same time, but expressed interest in a £315,000 Rolls Royce.

At Caernarfon Crown Court the sisters deny nine charges. The trial continues.

Paul Taylor, prosecuting, told the jury that the sisters lived "beyond the dreams of honest working people".

They shared a £400,000 home in Colwyn Bay, rented out a second property, had private health care, paid for private education for Andrea's children and expressed an interest in items such as a £315,000 Rolls Royce, the jury was told.

Mr Taylor said it was a case "of our times and for our times".

"A case of, if you want it, you can have it, without doing any work to earn it".

He alleged the sisters got money from anyone they could, including banks, insurance companies and the state.

In his opening remarks he detailed how both sisters claimed incapacity benefits and working tax credits at the same time.

Andrea Vaughan-Owen also claimed child tax credits, the court heard.

The 42-year-old former Post Office worker and Roberta Vaughan-Owen, 37, who once worked as a civilian for North Wales Police, had managed to get "tens of thousands of pounds to which they were not entitled," said Mr Taylor.

The court was told that it began with tax credits fraud, and there were mortgage and insurance frauds and the attempted VAT fiddle.

Mr Taylor said working tax credit for people with lower incomes was "particularly easy to cheat" and civil servants "inept".

"They didn't make any inquiries, they didn't ask any questions," he added.

He told the jury: "You may be shocked to hear that all you had to do was pick up the phone and get through to the tax credit helpline and say 'the situation is still the same - I'm still working' and the money carried on".

Both sisters deny furnishing false information by submitting a claim for a VAT refund of £161m in 2008, registering companies for VAT purposes and attempting to obtain invoices to substantiate a claim for a VAT repayment, insurance fraud, and being involved in fraudulent activity to obtain tax credit payments.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2011, 08:55:59 am »
At least they can't be accused of not being ambitious!
If you are going to pull a scam for which a prison sentence might follow, you might as well make it a BIG one.

Talking of big, watching her wobbling into court made me wonder whether she had stashed 161 million pound coins under her clothing?
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2011, 09:00:48 am »
what a pair of muppets! Never upset the vat man :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2011, 09:32:52 am »
I wonder how they arrived at the figure of £161m? If they had stuck to figures in the low millions, they would probably have got away with it. Most criminals end up getting greedy and it is their downfall.  &shake&

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2011, 09:36:21 am »
Y'know it's all a matter of priority really £315k Rolls Royce or Liposuction.  In her case the answer is blatantly obvious.  Miiiiiaaaaw  :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:26 am »
 :laugh:

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2011, 10:47:23 am »
how on earth did they manage to get working tax credits when they weren't working? just shows how flawed the system is,

My regular statement that comes through every year since I stopped getting child tax credits, very helpfully tells me that I have been awarded the princely sum of £ 0.00  ;)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »
That's disgusting and I'm not talking about the photo. I'm sorry to say it but I live not far from these people and although I don't know them personally I hope that they get the maximum prison sentence and a diet of bread and water!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »
She might leave prison a size or two smaller if that was the case !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
Whilst on the subect of Crime. The kids had a bonfire on the Oval, which had continued smouldering. Last night someone thought it was a good idea to take some of the fence panels from the Cricket Club and re-ignite the fire, so more expense for the club to replace them, who are already struggling financially.
Dictum Meum Pactum