Author Topic: Crime and criminals  (Read 242865 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Crime and criminals
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2011, 09:42:59 pm »
I saw no need for the use of any smiley.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2011, 06:04:01 am »

Fester.....what are you turning into?  :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2011, 08:05:45 am »

Fester.....what are you turning into?  :o
An E Thug?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2011, 03:16:35 pm »

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2011, 11:03:14 am »
Once they are caught, social workers will be trotted out to wring their hands and talk about 'poor family background' and various other excuses. So they will end up not being punished.

That's not what happens. In fact, that's about as far from reality as the Daily Mail is from News.

It does happen I'm afraid and it happens with lawyers in Court too.   Some of them are worse then the fat cat bankers as they are not interested in justice, just in getting a fat fee for representing their "clients"
They seem to  repeat the same things over and over again, such as "they had a deprived background"   "come from a broken home"   "parents were alcoholics"  "they were alcoholics but are seeking treatment"   "long term unemployment but are gainfully seeking employment" etc etc.
This is done to make it look like the defendant is a victim of circumstances beyond their control and gain sympathy from the Magistrates or the Judge and Jury, when in fact it is sometimes just  intended to mislead the prosecution.
The Prosecution on the other hand cannot reveal the previous crimes committed by the defendant as "it could prejudice the proceedings present"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:12:18 am by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 11:16:11 am »
I found an interesting article in the The Economist today.

The Economist - "...during the current downturn, the unemployment rate rose as the crime rate fell. Between 2008 and 2009 violent crime fell by 5.3% and property crime by 4.6%; between 2009 and 2010, according to the preliminary Uniform Crime Report released by the FBI on May 23rd, violent crime fell by another 5.5% and property crime by 2.8%. Robberies—precisely the crime one might expect to rise during tough economic times—fell by 9.5% between 2009 to 2010. The decline in violent crimes was sharpest in small towns, where the rate dropped by more than 25%, and among regions sharpest in the South, which saw a 7.5% decline. Only two cities with more than 1m people—San Antonio and New York—saw their crime rates rise. And some perspective is warranted there: in 1991 around 2,200 people were murdered in New York. Last year just 536 were. Overall, America’s violent-crime rate is at its lowest level in around 40 years, and its murder rate at its lowest in almost 50."

Interestingly, one of the possible reasons given for the fall was the removal of lead from petrol:

"For decades, doctors have known that children with lots of lead in their blood are much more likely to be aggressive, violent and delinquent. In 1974, the Environmental Protection Agency required oil companies to stop putting lead in gasoline. At the same time, lead in paint was banned for any new home (though old buildings still have lead paint, which children can absorb).

Tests have shown that the amount of lead in Americans' blood fell by four-fifths between 1975 and 1991. A 2007 study by the economist Jessica Wolpaw Reyes contended that the reduction in gasoline lead produced more than half of the decline in violent crime during the 1990s in the U.S. and might bring about greater declines in the future. Another economist, Rick Nevin, has made the same argument for other nations."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2011, 07:25:43 pm »
Jason says that...

"Conwy County Borough Council Chief Executive Bryron Davies will by mutual agreement resign from his post with effect from 17th June 2011."

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:22 pm »
It could never end any other way..... he will RAKE IT IN..... Its a disgrace.
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2011, 01:24:22 pm »
Stabbed Salford burglar John Bennell was on police bail

A burglar stabbed to death after an attempted break-in at a house in Salford, was on police bail for another suspected burglary, it has emerged.

John Leonard Bennell, 27, from Hyde, had been arrested by police in Tamworth, Staffs, earlier this month.

Householder Peter Flanagan, 57, who was arrested on suspicion of Mr Bennell's attempted murder remains in custody.

Mr Flanagan's 27-year-old son and his son's 21-year-old girlfriend have been released without charge.

Four masked men attempted to get into a house in Ethel Avenue before midnight on Wednesday.

Mr Bennell is believed to have been carried away by the other intruders as they fled, before being left in a road.

Police said Mr Bennell was found on Hospital Road in Pendlebury and died a short time later.

The three people with him at the time of the incident have yet to be traced, police said.

Ch Supt Kevin Mulligan, of Greater Manchester Police, has urged anyone who knows of their whereabouts, to contact detectives.

Two words...good riddance!  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2011, 02:35:04 pm »
Wonder why four masked men attempted to get into the house?  Doesn't sound like your ordinary robbery, does it?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2011, 03:28:23 pm »
It's what you call o FOURced entry!   L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2011, 03:36:33 pm »
Wonder why four masked men attempted to get into the house?  Doesn't sound like your ordinary robbery, does it?
The dead man was already on bail for burglary, was he not?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2011, 06:00:42 pm »
Householder Peter Flanagan, 57, who was arrested on suspicion of Mr Bennell's attempted murder remains in custody.

How can he be arrested for attempted murder if the victim was found stabbed to death?  ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2011, 06:39:19 pm »
I wouldn't hesitate to act in a similar manner if anyone broke into my house...
Then I would sleep like a log immediately after.

I would expect nothing less if I broke into their house.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2011, 06:46:42 pm »
The dead man was already on bail for burglary, was he not?

Indeed, but your average burglars operate solo, or in pairs. I suspect we'll hear more about this one in time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.