Author Topic: Crime and criminals  (Read 233202 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Crime and criminals
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:48:40 am »
A coverall topic for all crime and criminal-related issues
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:47:53 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Crime and criminals
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:45:16 am »
THE chief executive officer of a North Wales council will be tried on a rape charge in January of next year.

Defendant Byron James Davies, Conwy County Borough Council’s chief executive, entered a not guilty plea to the rape charge at Mold Crown Court yesterday. The rape allegation is said to have occurred at a house in the Llandudno area in March of this year.

Davies appeared in the dock wearing a smart, pin-striped suit, white shirt and grey tie.

He denied a charge of raping a woman between March 23 and March 25.

Judge Niclas Parry made a series of directions in readiness for the trial, which is expected to take four days.

Prosecutor John Philpotts and defending barrister David Williams said that it was agreed that the complainant’s evidence in chief should take the form of a DVD recording of her police interview.

She would then be available via a live link to the court to be cross-examined.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:40:14 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:48:26 am »
What concerns me about this is that he has been fully identified, yet the accuser has not.  Neither will the accuser be subject to cross examination in person.  Davies' professional career almost certainly lies in ruins, no matter the outcome,  and I think it raises serious questions about the judicial process in the UK once again.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Yorkie

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:55:29 am »
It is interesting that the complainants evidence would be given from a DVD interview and then via a video link.  My feeling is that this implies that the complainant is a minor, or there is some other valid reason for this exceptional treatment. *&(

As the case is taking so long to come to trial the CPS must have given very serious thoughts about proceeding unless it was considered there is sufficient strong evidence to justify the case.

We now have to wait.  Is it not about time that the legal system was speeded up?

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:42:55 pm »
The woman who made the allegations should be made to appear in court. (Edited) Justice must be served. Mr Davies, as I'm quite sure will be found not guilty in the very near future. His biggest mistake, was not knowing who his real enemies were inside CCBC. When he comes back look out for fireworks and a few hasty redundancies
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:44:35 am by Ian »
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:51:04 pm »
QUOTE from Blonbg: " Edited"
Don't think I've seen or read that piece of information before!    *&(
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:53:10 am by Ian »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:24:08 pm »
I don't think it's right at all. Any woman who has a grudge against any man can make these allegations. Not enough of these woman who lie (I don't mean the case in question though) actually get prosecuted and they should be. The men on the recieving end of such allegations, if proved to be lies, can never regain the total trust of family and work colleagues again. Yes the law needs to changed.  "Innocent until proved guilty" it's quite the opposite in some of these cases.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »
The woman who made the allegations should be made to appear in court. Justice must be served. Mr Davies, as I'm quite sure will be found not guilty in the very near future. His biggest mistake, was not knowing who his real enemies were inside CCBC. When he comes back look out for fireworks and a few hasty redundancies
Unless you happened to be there, Blongb, then you simply can't know what actually happened, so it's perhaps unwise to present speculation as fact. Only two people know the truth - we must let the Court decide.

Personally, I found Byron's tenure at CCBC vastly underwhelming. What results or achievements in the County can anyone point to as being directly attributable to his actions?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:25:53 am by DaveR »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 10:10:48 am »
The woman who made the allegations should be made to appear in court.

There is a great deal more to this than we know.  Courts don't allow video evidence other than in compelling cases.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »
I don't know enough about this case to express an opinion but I do know that in other cases and cases involving theft, assault etc the prosecution are not allowed to state the defendant's previous criminal history as it could prejudice the case beforehand.  It's only when a verdict is reached in a case that they then can reel off a long list of convictions.
In cases like the one stated, as the defendant has been named, mud tends to stick irrespective of the outcome of the trial.  I know one person who was falsely accused of something by a malicious person and they lost their promising career because of it and also their good name and reputation.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 08:59:23 pm »
(Edited by Admin) Guilty or not, that’s not for me to say, but I do hope all parties involved are aware of the penalties for attempting to pervert the course of justice.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:33:46 am by Ian »
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 08:27:03 am »
Bob Ainsworth has come out in favour of drug legalisation.  As if to show how sane this notion really is, when the BBC presented an interview with him this morning and had the chairman of the Alliance against drugs campaign on to refute Bob's suggestion, all the chairman could manage was to say that 'It won't get rid of the criminal drug gangs even if we gave all drugs away.'.    Wonder what planet he's from, then?

Yorkie

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 09:20:59 am »
Gilbert and Sullivan Planet

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!

The Mikado

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:37:42 pm »

Yorkie

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 06:35:35 pm »
One piece of advice I was given when I was progressing up my career ladder was,
"Never shag the payroll!"

It sounds somewhat crude now, even as it did all those years ago, but it remains a sound piece of advice as immediately one gets too close to staff in their employment, their position is totally compromised.

$uk

I wonder what the outcome of the Council investigation will be?    )*)&
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:48:18 pm by Yorkie »